Post pictures of your storagenode rig(s)

Here is my setup. Helps to own your on ISP and partner with a Data Center.

Cisco UCS running VMS and Coraid holding the storage
Proxmox > ZFS Raid-Z2

Dual 10G Transit Providers with 100G Bursting on both, blended at both carrier ends.
10G Network to all devices

Working on a RPi project for my house once all the parts come in. I’ll update once I have that running.
Have a four post rack at my house as well.

6 Likes

ha, yes, corrected that.

What case is that? What side hard drive is attached?

It’s the Storjbox. It’s a rpi 3b+, storage board and case.

A post was split to a new topic: Anyone using a POE-HAT for RPi?

3 posts were split to a new topic: Can only mount HDD to Raspberry Pi3 via USB? no SATA?

2 Likes

You need to start cable management :smiley:

1 Like

Try adding power usage to the specs. Get a Kill-A-Watt device to measure its usage. Performance per watt matters.

Not only cable management … everything is just piled up on top of a shelf. Need to invest in an nice 19" rack enclosure :slight_smile:

1 Like

Agreed, mine is a quad core atom that is always on anyways so the power usage is very low. I have a Xeon box with 48 drive bays in it that I would love to fire up but the power usage on it is insane.

My node is Qnap-1277 64 GB ddr4 ram 6 core amd
2 samsung 1 tb raid nvme caching
4 ironwolfdrive 8 tb
4 samsung 1 tb ssd for Qtier
Fibre connection 500/500 unlimited data

5 Likes

Well, this is my setup. A tiny Rock64 board with a 5TB HDD connected over USB3.0 (I’m not counting the other 2 HDDs as they’re not used for Storj at all).
Unfortunately only 50/20 Mbps on my internet connection side, but at least the LAN is 1Gbps. :smiley:
It doubles as a NAS for me with the almost full 8TB HDD, though the 5TB drive is also shared over SMB, which is nice when I wanna check if the storage itself isn’t acting up.

(Sorry for the blurry photo, the room’s kinda dark)

4 Likes

This is my beast: Raspberry Pi 4 4Gb with a previously retired OCZ Vertex 2 for the OS+info.db, 8TB WD for the data and 120mm fan for some cool breeze over the HDD.
Also it’s a media server and a carbon dioxide/humidity/temperature monitor with LEDs! :slight_smile:

15 Likes

Here’s a little update. Bought an armor case with dual-fan for my RPi 4 set up after having left for the past weekend, and we turned off the air and the board overheated and turned itself off because the house got up to 75 deg F… This thing is keeping the board at least 20 deg C cooler and has brought upload success rate up by at least 30%, which was an abysmal 30% before hand.

5 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Using SSD for cache on Synology NAS

I was one of the winners :smiley: and running an SNO ever since.

2 Likes

I have 4 of these setup hahaha…They’re nice and easy with the pi expansion board. Two online and two more coming up.

Two 2TB’s online and then bringing a third 2TB and a 6TB coming online.

1 Like

Hi,

Current setup:

x1 rock64 (4 GB ram)
x2 Tooq TQE-2530B (USB 3.0)
x2 WDC WD10 JPVX-22JC3T0 (1TB)

hdd connected in USB 2.0 (no option)
data mirrored with a zfs pool

Next setup:

x1 raspberry pi 4
x1 flirc case
x2 Maxtor STSHX-M401TCBM (4TB)
x1 hub usb 3.0 with independent power supply

hdd connected in USB 3.0

data mirrored with a zfs pool

Regards

1 Like

Most of these parts I accumulated for free or for very low cost from my clients (I run an IT consulting firm).

Dell R510 with 48GB ECC, dual Xeon E5620, an SSD RAID10 for main VM storage, and six-disk RAIDZ1 for mass storage. A average of four very efficient VMs are running, most being minimal Debian server OS running: PiHole, UniFi controller, UniFi Video controller, Storj, and occasionally Windows and Linux VMs for personal and work projects. Backed by a CyberPower 1500VA battery backup.

Currently testing a replication Proxmox server on my old desktop platform since that mobo has 12 built-in SATA ports, and with a bunch of free 2TB drives I’ve got a 16TB RAIDZ1 backup volume on there for now (yeah, that’s a bit inefficient nowadays, but… it was free). Both servers have 10GBe NICs for quick replication, and my Internet connection is 1GBe symmetrical fiber from Sonic (~$65 a month!!!) , a Bay Area-based ISP which I cannot rave about enough. Internal home network is all UniFi.

Storj node VM runs on two cores and 2GB RAM. 8TB mass storage allocated to Storj.

It’s taken me a couple of years to learn Linux and then to justify running a 250W server full-time, which is also a bit louder than I’d prefer, but it’s more than proved its worth in no time. I have just about broken even on a monthly basis in terms of Storj tokens earned in the past few months. Even without Storj I’d still have no qualms about running this even though it adds about $60/mo to my power bill.

6 Likes