Post pictures of your storagenode rig(s)

Nice, cheap build.

There are some possible improvements, but at that price point it is complaining at a high level:
Not a fan of Windows as a Server OS
Not a fan of Windows as a Docker host
Not a fan of none ECC RAM
No RAID
No IPMI
These cheap cases are a pain to work with
Possible vibration problems

Also check the fans RPM or the HDD temps from time to time. I am 99% sure that at least one of them will fail within two years :joy:

Not watched the whole vid, but maybe this is a good tip:
You have unused drives. Don’t put the actual working drives next to each other or even better, remove the unused drives and put the used ones apart from each other. That will help a lot with temps! People underestimate how much five drives can construct the airflow of a 120mm fan.

2 Likes

Thanks alot for the tips!

A few points:
Os is Windows as i have another need for it, other than STORJ :slight_smile:

Docker Will not be used for hosting the node, i Will use Windows service

Docker Only for Small stuff like watching stats and stuff.

Vibration is an issue yes.
Currently the server rests on some pc foam from some gpu cases.

I Will setup and watch the temps of the hdd’s - i Can allways up the airflow if needed

Raid i dont really see the need for in such simple setup.

Ipmi, whould be Nice. But i Got a lot of custom stuff that means once Im booted into Windows i Can monitor everything from all of the World

And i live 800m from My workshop Where server Will be so not to bad

I hope drives dont die so fast, is it because of temperature you Think they Will die fast or vibration?

Again Thanks!

2 Likes

There are things you can do to reduce vibrations in a PC case, not so much in a NAS.
In my last built, I put silicon bands between HDD and case, and fixed the drives with zip ties.
I found in the local hardware store silicon and rubber chair feet, or L shapped silicon bands.
You can use silicon or rubber to dump anything - drives, fans, car engine :sweat_smile:.
My built running 2 drives is next to my bedroom. I don’t hear anything from it.

2 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: 20 characters limit

Roger that! Thanks for the tip!:+1:t2:

1 Like

10 posts were split to a new topic: 20 characters limit