Private Multiregion File Transfer with Tardigrade and FileZilla

Private, Multiregion File Transfer with Tardigrade and FileZilla

Today, we’re pleased to announce that FileZilla users can now use Tardigrade decentralized cloud storage as the storage service for their files. People choose FileZilla because it’s a fast, secure, and reliable file transfer tool, making it a great pairing with Tardigrade. Because Tardigrade is decentralized, all data stored on the service is private by default through end-to-end encryption, ensuring data confidentiality. On top of that, Tardigrade provides multi-region redundancy for each file at no cost and no complicated configuration.

Because of FileZilla’s broad adoption and ubiquitousness, this integration means every FileZilla user can easily tap into the Tardigrade world without the need to be a developer or a software engineer. FileZilla is intuitive and simple to use, meaning securely managing your data is just as easy.
READ MORE…

18 Likes

Hey @jocelyn I wanted to test this out but I dont see an option to use Tardigrade network. Has it not been updated or do you need to use filezilia pro?

2 Likes

Let me get you some resources. I do know we’re in the process of updating the documentation. so please bear with me while I make sure I source the latest version for you to consult

Its great to hear that youre motivated to experiment! I hope you will keep us apprised as you go

1 Like

Thank you, Of course Ive actually been waiting for this since V2.

4 Likes

Hi! The option to transfer with Tardigrade is apparently only in the nightly builds of FileZilla for now. See:

https://documentation.tardigrade.io/how-tos/set-up-filezilla-for-decentralized-file-transfer#downloading-filezilla

which will point you to https://filezilla-project.org/nightlies/2020-08-25/ . We have asked them when they will make a full release with this functionality, but haven’t heard back yet.

6 Likes

thanks for the info @thepaul!

1 Like

Thanks @thepaul worked like a charm.

3 Likes

Now 3.50.0 has been released, featuring the Tardigrade support.

Clipboard02

You can download here: https://filezilla-project.org/

Seriously since it is one of the greatest FTP clients out there, you would not need to develop another GUI only to manage files on Tardigrade (nice move by Tardigrade team). The first impression is fantastic to be honest.

13 Likes

Yeah, this is awesome! My first testing with this looked very good. The power of native implementations I guess. Well done!

5 Likes

Yes indeed!
Pretty good improvement :slight_smile:

Just a question: at the connection to the tardigrade server, I’m asked to provide a password and a private key. Why do we need to provide this since we already give the API key?

Thanks!

The API key is used to determine what access you have and the passphrase is used to encrypt and decrypt the data. The passphrase is never known by Storj Labs as it is only used locally. But the API key is generated by the satellite and thus is known by Storj Labs. The passphrase is part of the trust no one approach to encryption Storj takes. Only you have it, it’s only used locally and it never leaves your environment.

3 Likes

Thank you.

Ok for the API Key.

In the screenshot below, I understand that “2” (“Clé de chiffrement” or “Encryption key” in english) is a local encryption key that I should create right now in order to encrypt the data before uploading them, Am I right?

But what is “1” (“Mot de passe” or “Password” in english)?

Actually, I don’t understand the difference between the Password and the Encryption key in this window.

Thansk for your help!

Looks like the password field doesn’t do anything there. No matter what you fill in, it will connect. I never got this dialog since I told it to store my encryption key, so it never asked again.

Probably something they will need to fix. Either that or I’m overlooking something.

I could suppose it is to encrypt the encryption phrase in a local store-file.
But I’ll ask the team.

Thanks.
Just being curious: how does your encryption key look like? Is it like a passphrase or more like a long sequence of characters (numbers and letters)?

The encryption key is derived from the encryption phrase, so they are not the same.
The encryption phrase could be any what you specified.

OK.
So I suppose that what is requested on number 2 in the screenshot above is the encryption phrase, not the encryption key, Am I right?

And, by the way (just to make sure I well understand the concepts), is this encryption phrase the same thing we are talking about in the official documentation here:

I thought maybe something like that too, but this dialog shows up when you choose not to store your pass phrase. When you do choose to store it you only ever have to enter the API key and passphrase and there is never any mention of a password.

And since you always also have to enter the passphrase in this dialog there is no need for a password to decrypt it. And as I mentioned before, no matter what you enter there, it works just fine.

1 Like

Yes, it should be. However, you can try to put the derived encryption key as your encryption phrase and it will be not possible to decrypt the uploaded data with it later without the specifying the same key :slight_smile:

Yes, it should be. Otherwise you will not be able to decrypt the data in buckets.

1 Like

Thank you.
In that case, I think the expression “Clé de chiffrement” (or “Encryption key”) is not really appropriate. It should be “Phrase de chiffrement” or something like that (I didn’t find a good translation of “Encryption passphrase”).