Profitable node locations

Good morning, I’ve been running two nodes in Los Angeles, CA for about a year now and each has accumulated just over 4TB of data. Does anyone know of any areas around the world where demand for data storage is higher?

1 Like

Its not really based on locations since its based on cloud and storing around the world. If your in a highly populated area where your sharing a subnet with someone else that would be the only way. Storj isnt gonna be as profitable with the amount of nodes coming on the network as it was 1 to 2 years ago. It will just continue to drop in profits the more nodes on the network.

@deathlessdd I’m sure that StorJ has analytics that pin point areas where it would be more beneficial to have nodes in order to supply customer data most efficiently. I’m in a few other projects that show South America as being one of those locations where demand for data storage is higher. As far as profits dropping, yes, it may have been more profitable 1-2 years ago, but StorJ isn’t a short term game. I think StorJ can grow 1,000X from here. And I’m willing to ship dedicated servers to different locations to help them grow. Each year the world is accumulating more digital content and I think demand to store that data will be increasing substantially this decade.

2 Likes

No data is stored in a central location period. If you upload data in South America its still stored around the world not in South America. Look one of my files for example im in canada

If you setup servers in South america it doesnt mean its gonna be more profitable. You can clearly see where theres infostructure and where all datacenters are located though.
Heres another files

2 Likes

I’m not disagreeing with you, but I would bet you that there are more profitable areas than others. It would be interesting to see where.

Maybe but if your talking about a datacenter you can bet that there already filled up…

Yes, we had this discussion already, see this thread: Does storj even work for VIDEO STREAMING? - #66 by hashbackup.

If you specifically mean having high ingress, try to be close to libuplinks that upload data. It probably means being close to gateway MTs, as many customers use them. You may also want to prefer locations within popular geofencing areas.

We may soon get a glimpse of some actual data on the localities of libuplinks after this change got released.

1 Like

I was looking back my 4TB node used to make almost 20 a month

and a year later.

Interesting… Mine have only been increasing.

How much storage though? My node is 3 years old an full

1-1
2-1

1 Like

So the trick is having newer nodes then. Old nodes with old data arent profitable. There you go lol
Lucky for me I dont really care about the profits.

3 Likes

That’s the part holding profits back. Newly uploaded data is downloaded more frequently. Since you don’t get any new data on a full node, profits will drop a bit once it fills up. Unfortunately.
But who knows how much this will play a role in the future once the network scales up more.

5 Likes

True I do keep expanding new nodes but the old full arent really used…I think there maybe alot of test data on it as well…

I wonder at what point its not even worth running it anymore…Or Just start a new one without running a GE…hmm cause every month it seems to make less and less.

Please detail your hardware configuration ?
How config 60 TB …

1 Like

Graceful exit works for individual satellites

Yeah exactly!

Is there any way to do this?

Or it is just going to stop putting in more data as it reaches the limit of 20TB?

It will stop accept new uploads, when the usage would be close to your allocation.
However, there is also equilibrium between uploads and deletions:

I have two nodes and with my first payout 1032 days ago. My oldest node got to 4TB in October last year but has only gone backward since. Trash just keeps building up. Which is a shame as I purchased a 8TB upgrade and that is showing to be a waste of money.

I think the best way to make money is to be close to an active satellite in a large populated country. Second, be in the northern hemisphere where all the satellites exist. If your way down south like I am you will get beaten for pieces all the time due to the very large latency.

1 Like