Q1 2024 Storj Town Hall Q&A

If you have any questions for the Town Hall on March 27th (Or after) please respond below.

5 Likes

This may be covered by default: but after the last payout changes I’d like to hear if Storj is actually profitable now (with current customers)… or if they’re still just profitable in theory (but need the scale of more customers to make the math work)?

8 Likes
  • Paypal. Don’t wanna start the discussion again, don’t worry, but if you have reasons to share, why you decided not to accept Paypal while very similar competitor like yours (ImpossibleCloud) are happy to accept Paypal, it would be interesting to learn.

• Website localization. Again ImpossibleCloud does that for the German market: https://de.impossiblecloud.com/. And they are a direct Storj competitor with the same product offering. It might be generally worth it to have a localized website for most important markets but with that direct competitor in place in Germany even more.

• Node performance optimization. Is there a systematic process in place for codewise node optimization? The nodes are getting larger these days and it appears that the code is not well suited for that. Suddenly we see issues popping up with filewalkers, bloom filters and IOPS getting wasted for database transactions instead for customer data. It seems that problems are getting solved only when node operators complain that there is something not working. On the other hand we see for the customer side very clear goals (Like: Performance Tuning & Optimizations (PTO) - Improve single-threaded download performance of 1GB object to 25 seconds or better on EU1). I did not see something similar for the storagenode side ever. So this is why I am wondering if a systematic process exists that is constantly monitoring node performance and suggesting code improvements pro-actively and not waiting until something does not work as expected and a SNO complains. Or worse: Waiting until SNOs make suggestions and even code proposals because they experience bad performance of their nodes.

6 Likes

I share the same concern with @Roxor, but the logical deduction is that: they are currently not, otherwise they would’ve keep the free tier?

I’ve a more direct question: what is the percentage of free user/paid customer? free storage/paid storage?

Originally someone mention it could be deduced from Town Hall Q2 2023 video.

I’ve try and this is my conclusion:

1. using Grafana, I saw that on June 2023, stored data is around 24.4PB
  2. based on https://youtu.be/4sjLHkVo9z8?si=xcLszOpIOvccvtgj&t=380, Jun 2023, paid data is about 4900TB or 4.9PB

So the ratio paid/total data is 4.9/24.4 ~ 20% of data was paid data?

P/s: updated video link with timestamp

2 Likes

Can you provide the link with the timecode where this information is mentioned. I really don’t want to watch the whole video again.

1 Like

@kocoten1992 Thank you!

Yes, hopefully we don’t see 20 PB of data getting purged.

1 Like

That is old data, they have Q3 2023 at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69e5gyGO72M&t=785s&ab_channel=Storj

That look a lot better: 6 / 22.4 * 100 ~ 26.7857143%, I can’t find Q1 2024 though.

Is there any progress on updating node T&C?

What is a reasonable amount of storage to apply for the commercial node operator program?

2 Likes

Good luck with this. I’ve given up since the last time I asked got completely ignored by Storj.

1 Like

Nowadays the issue of optimizing the operation of nodes is increasingly being raised. I think you should say, raise the issue of small files again.

I would like to draw attention to the correct approach to removing free data.
I kindly ask you to start deleting the smallest spam files.

This can help node operators defragment the file system, optimize the load, and provide you with a planned deletion.

Question No. 2 is optimization, splitting the load of S3 nodes. You pay a lot for them and this head is bigger than the entire community.

1 Like