QUIC check fail - WAN IP different than public IP

Help! I’ve followed all the guide and tutorial in setting up QUIC, but I suspect the QUIC check failed because my WAN IP is different with my public IP. I’ve port forwarded 28967 on UDP/TCP already in my router. Please help!

Full log: storj - Pastebin.com

Device: raspberry pi 4
WAN IP: 100.93.39.90
Public IP: 180.75.xxx.xxx

your node indicated error code: 0, rpc: tcp connector failed: rpc: dial tcp 100.93.39.90:28967: connect: connection timed out", “errorVerbose”: “ping satellite: failed to ping storage node, your node indicated error code: 0, rpc: tcp connector failed: rpc: dial tcp 100.93.39.90:28967: connect: connection timed out\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/contact.(*Service).pingSatelliteOnce:209\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/contact.(*Service).pingSatellite:157\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/contact.(*Chore).updateCycles.func1:87\n\tstorj.io/common/sync2.(*Cycle).Run:99\n\tstorj.io/common/sync2.(*Cycle).Start.func1:77\n\tgolang.org/x/sync/errgroup.(*Group).Go.func1:75”}

a related topic: WAN IP address different than external address

Hello @artest113,
Welcome to the forum!

In that case the port forwarding will not work.

You have a few options:

• contact your ISP and ask them for a public IP, it may be dynamic, but must be a public (the WAN IP will match your public IP), you may say to ISP’s staff that you need access to your security IP cam from anywhere to do not explain Storj;
  • switch to other ISP, who offer a public IP;
  • use VPN services with a port forwarding feature such as portmap.io, PIA, PureVPN, AirVPN, own VPN server with a public IP, etc.

If you have several routers, but the internet facing router/modem has a WAN IP which match the public IP, then you only need either:

• make another port forwarding rule, but on the internet facing router/modem to forward traffic to the local IP of your other router (which would be rendered on the second router as a WAN IP);
  • or switch the internet facing router/modem to a bridge mode, to make your router only the one router in your network.

100.64.0.0/10 is CGNAT, so your only solution is to either use a VPN or get your ISP to assign you an actual public IP.

4 Likes

Would it make sense to add a section to the Setup Port Forwarding page to check if node operator is behind CGNAT?