Ratio of egress traffic over a month against storage?

So for those of you not working with any bandwidth caps in place. What type of ratio do you see between the monthly egress traffic generated by a node vs the amount of data under management?

The reason why I ask is that many of the Storj examples are based around an assumption of 50% so, 500GB of traffic for every TB of data under management per month. From the trial system, I am currently running 50% currently seems optimistic.

Yes, I think it’s much better to use this estimator instead:

I’m not sure that any estimator is going to help, hence asking for some real-life figures. The alternative estimator uses a 10% egress traffic value, but I have no idea if that is any more valid than Storj’s 50% without some real life numbers.

5-10% is perfectly reasonable… atleast for the first while…
my node is 4 months… takes a while before you fill up a node tho…

i would look at it the other way around… how much do you use your data… and how much do you save… i mean odds for somebody uploading something to then just downloading it again… is highly unlikely especially when downloading it is the most expensive part of the process…

so taking that into account… what would you want to do… you want to upload stuff you can store cheaper and more secure, but which you rarely need to download…

so anything above 5-10% i think is wildly optimistic… ofc it kinda depends on what it ends up being used for… i mean if somebody makes a streaming service that beats all the others hosted on tardigrade… well then upload to download ratio might get totally reversed… but that wouldn’t make sense in the real world… but you get the idea…

nobody can tell you what it will end up being used for…
just like when henry ford made the first model a car… most people where use to horse drawn wagons…

i’m sure the first taxi drives made good money… ofc if they bought a ford… if they bought some crappy cheap brand then they might not have done so well because it was very new and thus lots of unforeseen problems one had to avoid…

it’s a different beast, and might even end up putting strain on the existing internet infrastructure over time… but this might be the way everything is stored in the future…

how much would you download if you had to pay 45$ pr TB and what is it 2.5$ pr TB a month …
ofc you get like infinite bandwidth and no matter what WW3 destroys the network will endure because it should be basically as reliable as the internet… almost xD

my guess is 5-10% ofc for now we all get test data from storj… so they essentially pay SNO’s for being reliable… and thus the downloads from a node goes up with time… to encourage stability…

depends on a lot of factors… also is your node full… if you got 100tb and 25tb is used then do you count the 10% of what is actually stored or what could have been stored…

my webdashboard says maybe 300gb egress for this month… out of 8-9tb so like 750gb engress if the month continues in a similar pace… maybe a bit more… had a pretty bad month in the previous one so…

750gb is like maybe 8-9% in egress of my stored capacity… which is fairly good imo

Thanks for the reply. 5-10% was kind of the range I was expecting to hear back as most users of an s3 based service are using it for backup roles and often as a nth level off-site backup. The result being that reading back the data is infrequent, its just deleted and new data put in its place over time.

The figure I was looking for was the one you gave - egress traffic vs actual stored date. The amount of potential storage vs what is used is a different topic.

For my 1TB test node after the testing cycle the system pushed 1TB of date over just a few days and I’m seeing about 9% egress traffic over a full month at the moment.

I made that one specifically to reflect traffic patterns during the first few months of this year (excluding January which had unreasonably high egress due to heavy download testing). If I look back now at May, I had 11TB stored and 1TB download, so that 10% figure seems to be holding up. I’m seeing the same ratio this month as well. It’s indeed a little closer to 9% like you saw on your node. But close enough.

If you have other questions, please let me know. I think this one actually gives a very realistic image of what it’s been like for SNO’s in the first half of this year.

Here is my actual experience for May 2020:
My HDD is 10TB (9TB allocated for Storj) and is full.
I also have a new 14 TB HDD which is still being vetted and seeing light loads.
My upload (egress) traffic in May was 1 TB
My download (ingress) traffic was 750 GB.
I have 1 Gbps fiber (upload and download capacity) - no monthly caps
Thus my average upload bandwidth (not peak) was 3 Mbps
Disk usage was ~ 7PB*h
My ratio between egress and capacity is ~10% (1TB:10TB)

Thanks, I hope Storj’s own business plans are not modelled around the same optimistic 50% value that they use in their ‘marketing’. If they do use such a figure they are looking at quite a hole in their cash flow compared to their plans.

I also wonder how many contributors of space will start to find that the income stream is somewhat smaller than they expected if they just used Storj’s public statements as a guideline and their response when they do.

They 50% Storj uses in their estimator isn’t even 50% of what’s stored, but 50% of the nodes upload bandwidth. There is no relation to stored amount at all in that one. It makes very little sense.

The upside is that Storjlabs makes money on every download and every bit of data stored. So it doesn’t really matter where that income comes from. So they’ll be fine.

We’ve already seen several SNOs disappointed about the income because of unrealistic expectations though. So yeah, it would help to have more realistic estimates.

plan for 1.5$ earned pr tb and you won’t be disappointed :smiley:

2 Likes

Egress this month is about 5% of storage extrapolated to the whole month.

There is some variation between nodes of different ages.

In particular I have a single node which has <0,1% egress. I posted about this before: Full node, no egress

might be worth to do a GE on it and simply start over… if it’s really old or maybe you just got unlucky and something went wrong…

Got 225GB of egress this month, out of roughly 2400GB stored. So that’s roughly 9%, but counting…

hmm so far 270GB from 7.5TB…

That’s about 3TBm so far, so also 9% for you.

That’d be a lot more than 9%/month and surprisingly a lot more than I got

the satellites tend to hold a grudge after extended dt… :smiley:

1 Like