Router replacement considerations

Hello all,

I’m due to receive a new home router today to replace the one that I’m currently using. I have three nodes running at the moment, and I thought I’d ask if there’s anything that anyone can think of that I may be missing in my list of things to do when I set up the new router.

My current set up includes, three raspberry pi storj nodes (linux/docker) (i.e. Nodes 1, 2, and 3), and a fourth raspberry pi running prometheus/grafana (i.e Node Z, since I typically use this machine to host new nodes when it’s time to spin up a new one). On Nodes 1, 2, and 3, I obviously have the storj node docker containers, along with watchtower, and storj-exporter containers. Node Z is running prometheus and grafana containers. Also, I typically connect to each machine remotely via VNC. Lastly, I have a static IP assigned from my ISP, that I had to manually configure in my current router.

Note, I’m not looking for any feedback on current set up, so respectfully request that responses are not questions or comments on this information.

Prior to disconnecting my current router/setting up my new router, I plan to stop all nodes and probably shutdown the machines.

First, I know that after I disconnect my current router and initialize the new one, I’m going to have to configure the static IP.

Second, I’m kind of assuming that when I set up the new router and start connecting devices/machines to it, that there’s a good chance for new LAN IP addresses to be assigned. Therefore, I’ll have to figure out what those are for each machine to do the following:

• Reconfigure VNC on my main computer to remotely connect
  • Reconfigure prometheus on Node Z to be able to scrape the data from the three nodes
  • Configure port forwarding in the new router with the new IP addresses

Can anyone thinks of anything I may be missing? Just trying to minimize downtime due to troubleshooting once I start the process.

Also, FYI, this is one step of a couple that I’m going to be taking over the next few days as I complete an overhaul of my home network. I currently have an 8-port switch distributing all network traffic from my basement (where the modem and parent router of a mesh network are currently installed) throughout the house. The majority of my devices connected via hardwire are all located in my office on the first floor. This includes the four RPi devices I use for Storj, 3-5 other SBCs, a synology NAS that hosts my plex server and I share that with friends and family, etc. It’s also where I work primarily these days and have two different work computers. So with all of that in my office I am concerned with all of the network traffic that the single ethernet cable (running through the wall) between the switch in my office and the switch in the the basement. Plus with all of the HDDs running in my office, it can get a little noisy when I’m on the phone.

So the plan is to install some shelving in the basement where my modem and router are at, set up this new router with greater bandwidth capability, and then install a large switch and relocate most of the equipment out of my office and down there.

1 Like

Well, there’s a lot of stuff there :smiley:

Don’t have a full answer for you but I can comment on this:

This won’t be a problem if you configure the IP and DHCP settings to match your old router. Would recommend that.

1 Like

Personally, I configured my home machines to have static IP adresses within my local network, to make sure my RPi running my nodes always has the same IP address.
I would recommend doing the same on your side: this way you wouldn’t have to change your VNC settings on your main computer I believe. Also, this way port forwarding would need to be reconfigured the same way it was on your old router.

Depends what kind of programs are running. If the cable (and routers) all support 1Gbps throughput (that is 125MB/s or 119MiB/s), it’s probably enough unless you’re regularly running heavy loads activities at your place for long periods of time.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s fair. Like I said I currently have two work PCs running during the day, a personal PC as well, then about 6-8 SBCs running, 3 of which are for Storj, and then a NAS that I stream plex off of and have some family that also streams off of it. So in the end I just figured it could make more sense to just relocate a lot of that stuff to a more centralized location in the house (get it closer to the router). Plus it just seemed silly for streaming Plex that the data had to run from the NAS through cables to Network switch in office through cables in wall to Network switch in basement through cables in wall back up to family room to wall plate through cables to TV to stream plex in the next room over…

Ultimately, I got the new router before all of the other stuff I ordered has arrived, so for the time being I just set that up and will make the “big move” of the equipment downstairs once all of the other stuff (shelves, etc.) arrive. Although, I was pleasantly surprised that all devices kept their LAN IPs that they had on the old router, so had almost no work getting my Storj nodes back up and running. Just a quick setup of port forwarding in the new router and we’re off and running.

i use RB4011iGS+RM it make it’s work very good, minimum delay, can make vpn.

Had the same when replacing my mobo and putting in a new CPU. Write down the IP’s of your nodes and DHCP assign them in your new router since you will have a new MAC address so it will assign new IP’s to all your devices. You can do that for all devices perhaps this will make the overall config easier.

1 Like

Or just use Adguard Home in your network as dns server to block all ads and also as a DHCP server instead of your router. Assign static ip leases there. problem solved :smiley: Just a bit more difficult to install than a new router but benefits are great. One disadvantage: The device running it may never be down or your whole internet won’t work… In my network I use it as dns server but not for dhcp. I have a fritzbox 7590 and it is the dhcp server.

Just posted over here with a couple of pictures of how it turned out.