Should I do a graceful exit or should I keep going with my node?

Hi,

My first node is 10 months. It seems to be fine but has only 1 disk without any redundant architecture.
I have more than 177$ in held amount and I am a little bit scared about loosing them because of a data corruption or disk failure.

So I would like to get your recommendation or opinion on the best option to follow.
I think I have several options:

1. Get back 50% of my held amount in 5 months if it’s still alive and keep my node running after that.
2. Gracefully exit right now and get 100% of my held amount. And then start a new node (which means I’ll have to build a new reputation and give new held amount).
3. Setup a more redundant architecture (RAID1 or RAID5 or RAID6 or their equivalent) right now to securize my held amount.

I know that it depends on my risk appetite. But I would like to have your opinion on what you would do.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hello,

Personally I would go with 2 or 3, of course this depends on if I had money to invest in to getting new hardware/current financial situation, If I did, then option 3 but if not, then option 2 perhaps come back somewhere down the line when money was available or reinvest the 100% held amount but as I said depends on my-hypothetical/your financial situations.

1 Like

Thanks for your opinion!

I think I’m gonna do a graceful exit.

Since I have 2 satellites for which I can’t do a graceful exit (Saltlake, on which my node is only 4), I will do a graceful exit only for the others.

After the graceful exit will finish for the 4 other nodes, will my node try to get vetted by these satellites again (since my node will still be up and running for 2 other satellites)?
I hope my question is clear :thinking:

Thanks!

I would let it run. The stefan-benten satellite will get switched off soon and you will get all the held amount from that satellite back. I assume that it is the biggest portion of the total held amount. When you do a graceful exit and start a new node you will start from 0 and it will take some time to fill the new node.

1 Like

Thanks @donald.m.motsinger.

Is that official? When do you think it will be switched off?

Indeed, Stefan-benten has the biggest portion (> $150) and I really don’t want to lose it.
It will be switched off soon, what should it be better to let it run? If I just get $4 or $5 more, I prefer to get back $150… What do you think?

1 Like

GE can be done on individual satellites, so you could do a GE on Stefan-benten only.
That is what I did, although for different reasons.
But if you think your HDD might not make it until that satellite gets shut down (nobody really knows if that happens in 1 month or 3 or …), then you should do a GE on Stefan-benten only.

The other thing to consider is that still a lot of egress is requested from stefan-benten so I missed out on a lot of egress by doing a GE 2 month ago. The amount of egress might get smaller but I don’t know that and there is no prediction for that.

However, GE can take a few weeks if you have a lot of data. During that time you will continue to get downloads. But if you are worried about your HDD dying, then you need to take the time for GE into account too.

(Personally I would probably do a GE on stefan-benten only, just to be safe, because with that amount you can buy a new HDD. But if the current HDD dies, you got nothing.)

Thanks for your opinion @kevink.

Do you have an idea about the following question?

Thanks again!

Did it work? I’ve seem some posts here that GE has not worked on all satellites, including Stefan

How much data do you have on your drive and how is it connected, and to what?
Bear in mind that if you should copy data to a new node you will be constantly reading from the drive while copying data. I doubt that will decrease the likelihood of failure (all depending on overall status on the drive of course) but it can affect download and upload races making your profit go down.

If its a lot of data you cant disable the node either, if you want to keep your reputation. Copying multiple TBs of data over slow interface can take days/weeks/months.

If your node is not full, I’d change the size of it so it will be soon full - then you would have no ingress and that would make it easier to copy the node to a new one.

I think you should keep it. 10 months is a long time. Whatever architecture you decide on is entire up to your budget, how well you know such architecture (i.e. raid) and the amount of data.

You might have to spend 50% or more on your new architecture, and $200 won’t get you anywhere…

1 Like

Could you elaborate? What were the errors? In which circumstances?

GE worked just fine for me and for many others. Don’t worry about that.
I did GE on stefan-benten on 2 of my 3 nodes without a problem.

1 Like

After GE your node will be unavailable for that satellite and will never be considered for uploads again.
So if you do a GE it is basically like a disqualification on that satellite, no more data. (But you get the held amount back).

1 Like

It is official, that it will be switched off, but nobody (except a Storling) knows when. It was announced here.

1 Like

I have about 1.6 TB / 2.6TB (it was full but then has been progressively emptying). It’s a VM hosted on ESXi.
The HDD is connected through SATA and has a dedicated datastore. The whole datastore is for the VM.

Thanks. You are talking about setting up a RAID? That’s a good point.

How do you do that?
If disabling a node means stop receiving/uploading data, why is it better than GE?

I believe I have a good memory but I cant remember all hundreds of threads on the forum I’m afraid. So No, but they should be easily found if searched for!

So all your problems are actually gone based on the above, if you have vCenter.