Stop the deployment of update 1.97.2 immediately

There is nothing in the log.
The node does not start, and therefore nothing is written to the log.

Nothing. What makes you think that I am confused?

I am just suggesting that running STORJ on Windows Server (bad), on top of HyperV (bad^2) and not even reserving 1% (bad^3) to not risk unexpected behavior when running out of space is borderline crazy in my opinion.

That also makes me 99% sure that the problem is you and not STORJ.
When people use crazy exotic configs I canā€™t believe that they even work that long, and then get crushed by new update, 99% of the time it is their fault.

Remember when I said this?

That is exactly what I meant by ā€œsome combinationā€.
In your case it is ā€œsome obscure combination, not made for the task, totally none supported, with 100 added layers of complexityā€.

But to each his own I guess. Donā€™t get me wrong, I love obscure exotic setups! I run a old SSF as OPNsense router, where I had to disassemble the PSU so the Network card fits into it. Now some 40mm Noctua fan, only hold into place by some anti vibration rubber, is responsible for cooling the Network card and PSU. It works. But when it breaks down, I will not run into the OPNsense Forums and throw around wild accusations.

What does services log show?

1 Like

Hi, Can You say more why its bad?
its common thing for Virtual machines.
Like with VMware Workstation, which i use.
Not sure if i can do any better using paid, licensed VMware Pro software,
i relay on them, as they are the professionals, who know what they do i suppose.

Does running storagenode help or storagenode info from command-line work?

I rolled back the updated nodes to version 1.96.6 so that they work and do not crash online. Also prohibited updating on them.
Currently, when the update is enabled, they are not updated.
Thank you, apparently the server has paused the update.
So I donā€™t have version 1.97.2 right now and canā€™t check if it works storagenode help or storagenode info from command-line.

__github.com/storj/storj/releases/download/v1.97.2/storagenode_windows_amd64.zip
I manually downloaded the file and tried to run it

Apparently the new version did not read the paths from the settings file config.yaml ?
Do you need additional keys to execute the command?

storagenode help - runs fine

No, thatā€™s sufficient for that test. I wanted to make the first check for whether thereā€™s any init time, DLL related or anti-virus related issues ā€“ in which case the binary wouldnā€™t start at all.

Iā€™m still digging into all the differences between the versions, but I havenā€™t yet found anything that would explain the issue.

Storagenode version 1.98.2 (Something wrong in my algorythm or satellite. Node version greater than latest 1.97.2)

I have the version 1.98.2 installed on one node and it works

There is v1.98.2 Release v1.98.2 Ā· storj/storj Ā· GitHub, the ā€œlatestā€ in github is somewhat misleading.

7 posts were split to a new topic: Virtualization Discussion

A post was merged into an existing topic: Virtualization Discussion

So Iā€™ve been digging in the code and have a question:

Do you happen to have any custom scripting or monitoring that calls Storage Node API-s directly? If yes, what and how are you calling them?

Additionally, did you look into Windows Event Viewer logs, whether there was any mention about storagenode.exe?

PS: the only thing I currently found at the moment was that calling API ā€œ/payout-history/[date]ā€, with an invalid [date] could cause a failure.

1 Like

I did not see any entries in the log; as I understand it, the application crashed before any logs could be written.
There is a simple option - I can watch with you via anydesk how the node crashes.
You just need to write to Telegram and make an appointment.
Donā€™t waste your time playing with a broken phone.

Yes, thatā€™s sounds like a good plan.

I was initially hoping it was something more obvious, because there hadnā€™t been that many changes between those versions.

That is why we try to convince you to give windows logs from the Event Viewer

2 Likes

yes, @AiS1972 , if node crashes there is a record there in Event Viewer, under ā€œWindows Logs>Applicationsā€ tab. Every time my storagenode.exe crashes there is a record there, might be some hints for us why!

v1.95.1 running great!

Unfortunately the windows event viewer doesnā€™t have that much information at the moment. However, Iā€™ve been spending time improving that yesterday ā€“ so some upcoming release should log information there when the logging system isnā€™t yet setup.

4 Likes

7 posts were split to a new topic: Node offline after update

I would recommend using the last release that you were using, for the other nodes that didnā€™t start properly.

Weā€™re in the progress of making a new v1.97.3 release that should give more information in the log or windows event viewer. But, itā€™ll take some time to build, run the full testsuite and make the release.

3 Likes

Just read that they pulled back the rollout of this version.
Mea culpa! It seems like this was actually a STORJ issue and not the setup of @AiS1972!

Why donā€™t you guys report it back here?