Storj drive failed

Hi all,

I have an issue with the drive on which I had the node data stored.
There was a power outage and when the light came back, the drive was gone.
More details on configuration:
A Windows laptop with 3 TB 3.5" HDD connected to it via USB. The node itself is installed on the internal M2 SSD. The data was stored on this external HDD connected via USB.
The laptop went to sleep when the power went out and the battery didn’t die. But because the external drive is 3.5" it is powered by an additional power supply, so it switched off whn the power went out.
Now, what I see is an empty disk with no partition on it and I’ve tried MiniTool Partition Wizard as well as MiniTool Data Recovery, but without any success. I believe the problem may be that the drive was GPT and not MBR, due to the fact that it’s more than 2TB…

Does anyone have any idea how to recover parition under GPT partitioning table?

Thank you in advance,

It could be possible that the USB enclosure controller is the problem. Do you have the option to remove the drive and install it directly in a desktop with a SATA connection? Otherwise, I have had success with EaseUS partition tools in the past. I believe they have a free version.

Thanks a lot, I actually though about that, but haven’t tried yet.
Will do soon and report.

Thanks a lot one more time! That actually did work.
On the other hand when I connected a spare SSD to USB enclosure controller, it also worked, but not not with this HDD (I’ve tried to reconnect it one more time).

I guess I’ll be now checking on how to run multiple nodes on the same machine

1 Like

That is strange. Maybe the enclosure power supply has been damaged? Although 3.5" enclosures typically have 12V power supplies as 3.5" HHDs require 12V and 5V supply, 2.5" SSDs only require 5V. So maybe a faulty power supply could be to blame. It could of course be the controller itself.

Running multiple nodes on the same machine is unfortunately not straight forward in Windows. I suggest checking out @Vadim’s Win GUI toolbox

Not sure how to migrate a node with it though, as I have only read about people using it to set up new nodes. Hopefully someone on the forum has experience migrating a node this way. Just make sure to keep your data and identity for the respective nodes together so you don’t accidentally run a node with mismatched identity/data.

It’s worth mentioning that the officially supported way to run multiple nodes on Windows is to run additional nodes in docker, but I’ve heard that docker on windows is a nightmare.

1 Like

Thanks again, this was very useful.
As the disk is working, I didn’t need to migrate anything, and this tool allowed to install a second node by specyfing the location of identity, storage and databse :+1:

1 Like