Storj node on an Intel-based ReadyNAS

I just wanted to share my experiences of running Storj on an Intel-based ReadyNAS 2304.

DISCLAIMER
Yes, I’m using my container on an X-RAID system. I know there is a lot of discussion about the merits of RAID and Storj geniuses recommend against it, but I wanted to keep things relatively simple.
It’s fairly trivial to disable X-RAID to run multiple nodes but you’ll lose all the data (obviously).

DOCKER
Be aware that the Docker app won’t install if you’re running the latest ReadyNAS OS (at the time of writing this is 6.10.3).
The solution is to remain on the latest LTS version of ReadyNAS OS (currently 6.9.6)
If you’ve already upgraded to 6.10.x then you CAN downgrade but you data may be at risk. Make sure you backup and, to be sure, perform a factory default after the downgrade.
Instructions here.

FILESYSTEM
It would probably be sensible to create a dedicated share for the storage node data (even if you disable all network access). I imaginatively called mine Storj
This will create a directory /data/Storj which you can use when you run docker.
You will need to enable SSH in order to, well, SSH into the machine. This can be done from the control panel.

IDENTITY
Most definitely worth creating it elsewhere and moving it across. These units don’t have a particularly powerful CPU. But hey, it’s your time :slight_smile:

CONCLUSION
So it’s simple enough once you realise the limitations of Docker installation. That took me a while.

As this is an unofficial thing, I would strongly recommend you keep the firmware updates to the LTS stream and think twice before upgrading the firmware. There is no certainty Docker will run with whatever the next upgrade is.
I haven’t tried this on an ARM-based ReadyNAS, but as far as I can tell Docker isn’t available on that platform.

3 Likes

Hi I’m looking to install sotrj on my readynas 516. The docker installation has been relatively painless via the Docker CLI app. However, in reading the Storj installation instructions it has a warning that the drive must be static mounted.

Linux Users: You must static mount via /etc/fstab. Failure to do so will put you in high risk of failing audits and getting disqualified

While I can maneuver through LInux ok, I’m by no means an expert in it. I don’t really know what that means or why I need to do that or even how that would affect the readynas. Did you find that’s something that needs to be done on the readynas?

Probably not. Static mounting ensures that the HDD is always mounted to the same exact path. If you don’t do that many linux systems will automatically mount in /media and don’t ensure the same name is used every time. This could result in the path changing and your node pointing to the wrong location.

Now I don’t have any experience with readynas specifically, but most NAS systems will ensure static mounting for at least their internal arrays by themselves.

1 Like

As @BrightSilence mentioned, no need to change anything in fstab
I have installed the docker container on a ReadyNAS 2304 and the binary on an ARM-based ReadyNAS 214 and they both work just fine.

Little word of warning, though. Do not upgrade the ReadyNAS firmware to the latest version. I believe the Docker package won’t run on that. I’m staying on 6.9.6

Also, welcome to the community!

I fear from your nickname (MoneyMaker5) that you may well be disappointed if you think this is going to be a quick way of making big bucks! :smiley:

2 Likes

Thanks for the welcome. Ah good to know. I’ll continue with the setup then. Just didn’t want to be dinged for not setting things up correctly.

By the way my 516 already had firmware 6.10.4 which seems to be the latest. Docker seems to work, but I haven’t tried to run the storj container yet (since I was holding up for info on that static volume question).

haha, it’s ok, I’m not expecting to get that Lambo from running Storj. :smile: I found that slow and steady wins the race when it comes to making money.

Ah, thanks for the heads up!
They must have updated the app since I tried. :slight_smile:

Just want to update this thread.

I upgraded to OS 6.10.5 and it broke Docker. =(

1 Like

Thank you for the heads-up!
Have you considered running the binary, instead of the docker container?

Hm… where do I find that, I only see the docker install available for download.

If I’m not mistaken, this link should explain how to do it. Obviously download the latest version of the the storage node.

The other alternative would be to downgrade ReadyNAS OS to the previous version. The instructions for that are on a link in the very first post on this thread.

I recommend waiting a bit as this process is about to become a lot easier.

Documentation is still missing and the warning mentioned there sounds like it’s not a great idea to migrate right now. Hopefully they will add the required docs soon. Your node can handle a little down time if that’s what it costs. But I would recommend to try and keep it below 2 weeks to avoid suspension.

Maybe just downgrade to the previous ReadyNAS OS, then :slight_smile:

Almost one year later…

Netgear fixed the ReadyNas firmware… I can run Docker just fine. Created a new identity/node since my last one was disqualified (Thanks Netgear… :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) and got it up and running all within an hour.

Let’s go! :rocket:

5 Likes