StorjNet - Nodes

Hello,

I was able to find some relevant information about how nodes are being detected in this thread from 2019:

Mine is also appearing as offline, although that I’m passing the ping:

- started
-
- via: St.Petersburg, Russia
- QUIC: dialed node in 87ms
- QUIC: pinged node in 77ms
- QUIC: total: 164ms
- TCP: dialed node in 149ms
- TCP: pinged node in 75ms
- TCP: total: 224ms
-
- via: France (proxy, no QUIC)
- TCP: dialed node in 366ms
- TCP: pinged node in 99ms
- TCP: total: 466ms
-
- done.

But my question is more oriented towards how nodes are counted on a /24 subnet.

It is to my understanding that traffic is divided between all nodes part of the subnet, and a check that I have ran under https://storjnet.info shows that I have 2 nodes, when I’m only aware of one:

ID: 1goJaKCBNoXAcojEDrXqQDm4NJYRGEaPjjDadysXZSeT3syJJH
IP address: 194.50.122.188

• Is my watchtower counted as a node running in Docker?
  • Could this negatively affect the traffic and furthermore the statistic overall for my node, having in mind the division of traffic?

Thank you in advance!
Rumen.

Hello.
Thank you for the question.
/24 mean then 194.50.122.1-254 all nodes in this space is like 1 node, all traffic will be shared between them. so your node will get only half of normal data size, and will fill longer.

If you are only running one node in that /24 subnet, then the other one belongs to someone else who is also running on that same subnet. Each node will only get about half the traffic as they would if they were by themselves in the subnet.

I do appreciate the swift responses.

And is my watchtower counted as a node?

@heunland can you clarify if this “other” node is related to mine or that would be just another user/client who is using the same IP address subnet as me?

watchtower is just a way to update, it is not a node. The other node currently operating on the same /24 subnet as yours is run by some other node operator who happens to be on the same subnet. They may be unaware of the fact that they are not the only node in the subnet.

Some other users that have noticed they are sharing traffic with another node they are not running themselves have commented that they could start additional nodes on the same subnet so that in the end they get a bigger percentage of the total traffic for that subnet, but if the other node operator does the same then the advantage would disappear again.

Storj wants to split traffic among all nodes inside a /24 subnet to geographically spread data better I guess, but it feels a bit unfair for SNOs who happen to share their traffic with an other unknown one :confused:

Would it really hurt to remove that limitation?

Naïvely removing it without any alternative, yes, it would. A single SNO would then be able to get a lot of traffic by creating many small nodes, as opposed to few bigger ones.

1 Like

Yeah sure, I should have made it clear that I thought all nodes behind a single IP should still be considered as one single node. I meant to only remove the grouping per /24 subnet.

Very interesting post you linked! I’ll support it!

1 Like

Yes, that is a good question, this also limits the number of nodes per country, to a very small number for some - under 10k. Whether this is good or not will be seen when Storj expands sufficiently, or some yet-unknown limitation presents itself.

1 Like

This is a really nice observation! Let see… by this Wikipedia page, the best places to set up nodes are:

• Vatican City (21k IP addresses per 1k people!!!),
  • United States (4911 IP addresses per 1k people),
  • Sweden (3336 IP addresses per 1k people),
  • Norway (3241 IP addresses per 1k people),
  • Netherlands (2772 IP addresses per 1k people).

World average is 530 IP addresses per 1k people.

Some populous countries that are far on the list:

• Indonesia (population of 248M, 69 IP addresses per 1k people),
  • India (population of 1.2G, 28 IP addresses per 1k people),
  • Pakistan (population of 190M, 27 IP addresses per 1k people),
  • Bangladesh (population of 161M, 5.74 IP addresses per 1k people),
  • Nigeria (population of 170M, 5 IP addresses per 1k people).
1 Like

Well that’s surprising - Nigeria has 5 addresses per 1000 people and they’re using 4 out of those for scamming people. Amazing!

3 Likes

And how can I ensure that my node appears as active here: https://storjnet.info

This is a third party website, separate from Storj as a company/business. If you keep your node online then it should be included in the figures on that website.

Well, I have kept my running for the past 20 hours, I guess it may need some additional time to appear as online in that case.

Is it online on your dashboard?

Certainly, yes. Maybe I’m not using the proper Node ID but I checked that and it is good.

What do you mean by

Where?
On that site? If so - you must use the proper NodeID, address and port. It performs checking using the Storj protocol. This is not a simple port checker or ping, so the proper NodeID is an integral part of these checks. At least author promises that.

don’t forget that many nodes are hosted in datacenters. E.g. frankfurt, nurembourg, paris etc. and BYOIP is also possible…

@Alexey - I meant the format that I have been using may have been wrong, this is what I have when I try to ping my node here: Pingdom

1goJaKCBNoXAcojEDrXqQDm4NJYRGEaPjjDadysXZSeT3syJJH
PUBLIC_IP:28967

And I get:

- via: St.Petersburg, Russia
- QUIC: dialed node in 85ms
- TCP: dialed node in 149ms
-
- via: France (proxy, no QUIC)
- TCP: dialed node in 344ms

Seems all good, I guess - but I’m not able to get the right signal if I go here, it has been marked in red since I initially added the node here: “My nodes

Thank you for your time.

Storj doesn’t provide a support for this site, so I do not know how exactly it works and what can be wrong there.

If you can see “online” on your dashboard and do not have errors like “ping satellite failed” in your logs - your node is online.

1 Like