Videocoin - what is it and how to use

i tried installing golem, ran honey something for a while, but didn’t really run well without a gpu, folding@home, but dropped that because it was mostly pointless, and affected my successrates at the time i believe… not totally sure… stopped it for a reason… maybe i was just trying to do to much…
now where was i … renting out computation time / storage, right.

Never was able to get golem it to work… else i got a small fleet of vm’s containers for local services, like home streaming, even tho thats kinda pointless these days since everything is really online…
doubt i will kill the streaming server because i spent way to much time on getting it to work and sorting the series… and really theses days with the capacity i use on storj… its just a drop in a bucket xD
all the vm’s and memory usage is quickly an issue with only 48gb ram and half of that is dedicated for the ZFS ARC most of the time… so after a few windows vm’s and a few linux containers / vm’s memory can quickly become scarce…

the idea behind golem is pretty cool, distributed computing ( currently render cloud for blender i think)
not sure what else one can do with it… seems like some very smart people that are making it… maybe a bit to smart because i never successfully got it working… might be easier on windows, on linux is just … a mess imo

spent a ton of time on that, and still kinda got stuff i need to finish on the storj setup, so haven’t really had the greatest focus on adding stuff…

MQL5 is one of the next ones i plan to try out…it’s like processing stockmarket predictions or something, seems pretty cool might return to golem at one point or try it on a windows vm, see if the install is easier there
there are actually a huge number of things out there to try… but most of it seems startup like or really old and not any huge traction…

on top of that as the “CPU WAR” is continuing my computing power becomes more and more pathetic and i don’t have any GPU for the server nor much power overhead to add one…

might delve into doing multiple storage related projects… they seems popular, it’s what my server is best at because i was building it towards that… not much processing in a dual xeon 5630

so after my golem failure and vast waste of time, i refocused on streamlining and doubling down on storj, before i start branching out into either filecoin… which i kinda like to, since it’s such a high entry bar for the recommended hardware and i’m not that far off i believe.

3 Likes

this was the honey thing i tried, it’s pretty cool, it will jump between mining different crypto depending on what’s the most profitable, can’t remember if it’s windows only tho… might be

1 Like

I’m a bit confused about videocoin. In some places they say that some nodes provide storage, some provide CPU power for transcoding etc. Then it looks like only CPU power is needed, there is no need for disk space etc, so I guess only transcoding is needed.

So, to anyone who tried running it - which is it?

1. Is storage needed?
  2. Does the storage node have to perform transcoding as well, or is storage and transcoding separate?
1 Like

i don’t think anyone knows yet… @kevink tried to install it but ran into issues and then asked for help on the forum and then he haven’t heard back i guess… something like that…

if they partner up with storj tho, one should think they use outside storage… so my money is on mainly transcoding… that was also how i understood it on their spokesman in the few interviews i’ve seen about it… but your guess is as good as mine…

1 Like

i didn’t try videocoin.

1 Like

hmmm i wonder who it was the… maybe @TheMightyGreek if this isn’t right i’m just going to give up and leave it at that :smiley:

i readed about videocoin worker, it like rocket building tu setup it, need 3-4 different accounts in different stuff and put them together.

1 Like

yep I posted on the forum and finally got a response after a day or so.
Turns out you really have to deposit 3600 dollars worth of videocoin tokens to start a worker that does transcoding. I told them it was a bit steep just to try out something you don’t even know will work…

2 Likes

I guess you can resell the tokens if it doesn’t work but it’s still a big leap of faith. And I’m not that comfortable with smart contracts and that kind of stuff. It would kind of hurt to mess something up and send 3.6k in some blockchain black hole…

and then on the otherside if thats the fee for entering the network, what kind or server requirements is required… what are we starting at 25k-50k $ would be my guess…
not really the level of gear most have around…

but then i bet the payouts will be kinda nice… if it works… which i bet it does…
its not for nothing datacenters these days are the size of cities.

1 Like

they show the performance for a raspberry pi so I guess there isn’t a server requirement…
I’m curious if someone put 50k videocoins down to transcode with a raspberry pi and probably make just a few dollars a month. Anyway I don’t have that kind of money so it’s better if I just stop thinking about it.

1 Like

yeah sounds like a great plan to put down 2600$ to let some 50$ hardware do some work…
sounds like a real earner… lol

4 Likes

The way you put it it sounds really lol. :joy: :rofl: :joy:

1 Like

I’m a firm believer in turning down any scheme that requires me to pay up front for the privilege of doing work.

3 Likes

Some more background stuff on Videocoin:

1 Like

36 posts were split to a new topic: Theta network (analog? of videocoin)

We have much planned with our partner, Storj, and in the coming months, expect deeper integration as we onboard their storage solution to our network. We recently published the first in a series of blogs detailing our partnership and integration. You can read that here.

The reticence of media companies to allow us to publish PR on the initiatives currently underway is discouraging, but this experienced team is working on several stealth mode initiatives that we hope to announce shortly. To tease one such initiative, we are in deep discussions to provide VideoCoin Network services for one of the world’s most premier sporting events.

1 Like

I had a little back and forth with a guy that seems pretty knowledgeable on videocoin:

So it seems that the 50k tokens needed to spin up a node won’t be going down anytime soon.
I think it’s pretty ridiculous that they have quite a bit of documentation on how to setup a node on a raspberry pi while you need like 3k$ just to spine up a node.
Come on guys anyone who is willing to put down that much money also has a decent server or is willing to build one.
I guess we’ll see how it develops, as long as they pump data into my node I’m happy.

2 Likes

I wonder what is going on there? Last Medium article is 4 weeks ago…

And this guy had a question about Videocoin/Storj setup 10 days ago and did not even receive an answer in the forum :roll_eyes: :

https://forum.videocoin.network/t/hosting-on-storj-tardigrade-but-using-videocoin-uploader-processor-player/328

Doesn’t sound too promising.

Their forum is extremely inactive…