Viewing the dashboard on VPS

Hi,

I think I got the storj node to work on my VPS. When I do

$ docker ps -a

I see it is online, the ingres and egress has data flowing, and . Only problem is I can’t see the dashboard. I can’t use localhost address as it is CLI only, and the ip plus port redirection doesn’t load a page.

Any help with this would be great.

~art

1 Like

Hello @articulateape,
Welcome to the forum!

https://documentation.storj.io/resources/faq/how-to-remote-access-the-web-dashboard

1 Like

Thank you for welcoming me. I’m new and I think Storj is an interesting project.

Your solution is perfect, just need to remote ssh to local computer to display dashboard.

1 Like

Actually, out of curiosty, how can I display the dashboard from a domain like node.example.com. Can it also be password protected?

you can instal VPN server to VPS, and connect to it, and run dashboard on internal IP acceseble only from VPN connection.

1 Like

I’m new to VPN but I’d like to learn

I would recommend checking out OpenVPN as a VPN solution. https://openvpn.net/community-resources/how-to/

1 Like

Has anyone had any luck with wireguard? I’m having trouble accessing the external ports on the VPS side. Similar to OP

1 Like

OP here, Alexey’s solution to have make ssh tunnel back to local machine and display localhost port works. Use cli on you local machine to create ssh tunnel, then connect back.

I’m not sure exactly how it works as I had no idea this was possible, i think it’s like a bridge connection or port merging.

Local machine > ssh to vps > instruct to tunnel back to localhost with port merging (or whatever the real name is)

I posted my solution for accessing the dashboard some time ago.

@tylkomat that is an interesting solution. So, the public IP and port is exposed but also safe?

Do you stop the container when you dont want to see the dashboard or leave it on?

It’s not safe, while the socat is running. And you need to have a ssh access to the console anyway to run that sidecar container.

The only secure solution is to use VPN or ssh tunneling. A less secure solution is to use a reverse proxy with basic authentication, but without SSL it would be not better than expose your port directly - the basic credentials without SSL could be easily intercepted.

1 Like

This is just for short term access, since it’s unprotected. I just start the container to look at information and then stop it again.

so why do not use ssh -L 14002:localhost:14002 youruser@yourvps instead?
Since you connecting via ssh anyway

Seems much less frictions

3 Likes