Voluntary Payout Reductions — and How to Set One Up

Doesn’t matter, you are an official employee, the few that remain, on an official Storj channel.

I do not know what the policy of Storj in this case, maybe ask someone about it, but I guess you are it!

Of coarse you can continue to run your nodes and talk about them, I think it’s fine, it’s great, you should totally do it, if anything it gives you a first hand view of problems has a QA and that is amazing, and I think any conversation should start with that, “I am QA”.

But you cannot make policy or judgement with your experience on an “unfairish” advantage contrary to what Storj officially says.

Like you said, you had 3 answers, I accept them I think it’s fine, but you see the problem of you being an employee, making internal recommendations based on personal and quite possibly extremely advantageous and lucky experience, that you admit you had quite a high success rate.

Let me ask you in another way, do you think you are impartial?
Do you think other will view anything you say has impartial?

Depends on the context. In terms of running a storagenode I am going to say yes. Most of my coworkers are not running their nodes anymore. I am spend the time to keep them allive and know very well all the challenges around that.

The moment chapter 11 surfaced I run the math for my storagenodes and calculated a temporary payout reduction I could offer until the end of the year. And than another SNO blow past that calculation and offered $0. I matched that myself. I am just the one that is talking about it and has to make the announcements. Don’t shoot the messanger!

Past few days I learned a few things about good places to buy HDDs. That will be usefull in the future.

To be honest I don’t care. I am here with 2 roles in one person. I try to not mix them up in both directions. If storj is trying something stupid they will get my SNO response directly in their face ofc with the caveat that I am just one SNO and other might respond differently. Same game the other way around. In the community I will also explain what leadership told me. I try to be transparent in both directions. And I am not going to stop that just because you don’t like me. The other SNO still deserve all the information.

I could hook you up with 15 Exos drives.
At 20€/TB I can take the same I paid for them new. I have 16TB and 22TB ones. The best part… they have 5 years nodes on them too. :grin:

Perhaps it’s for @Roxor ?

Ha! :money_mouth_face: I don’t need more drives… but there’s always better returns finding new homes for the nodes… than trying for a final GE payment :wink:.

I wish there were higher trans-atlantic transfer speeds: so many SNOs putting their nodes up for adoption are in Europe…

Google is setting up Sol and Nuvem, the boat is putting the cable ATM.

They are opening a DC in the Azores.

That’s terrible news.
A beautiful natural paradise with mostly oil-fired power stations.

I wish Google would bugger off.

What crime would a capitalist commit for 1000% profit? Anything!

Whereas a communist is willing to commit a crime for no money at all… :smirking_face:

I don’t think it is, it brings investment to actually go out of external energy dependency.

The main island has over 30% in geothermal and it’s increasing to 53% capacity along with other renewables.

Distracting

To eliminate capitalists.. I know.
I prefer to solve problems collaboratively, but not at someone else’s expense. And I believe that causing harm should be very expensive. Am I a capitalist or a communist? Or something else?
Off topic.

Our discussion is went to different directions. The current one just an instruction for who can participate to help to survive. Please, don’t distract me too, thanks.

Offtopic

I understand you perfectly, because I have relatives who found themselves in exactly the same situation, in exactly the same part of Germany. Worse, some of them ended up on the other side of the Berlin Wall (!).
I believe that no one should occupy territory to impose their ideas. And I’m not just talking about communists. I absolutely dislike the tendency toward division. Because then the second part of this rule will inevitably follow: “(Divide) and Rule.”

Ok, let’s return to the topic. Do you have any other ideas, how to reduce costs and don’t affect a majority of SNOs?

No more Money for the Saltlake Sat. This is a testing Satellite and it should bei free for Storj.

yes, try an experimental program with lower customer prices,
thesis to prove: lower prices brings more total revenue

First announcement it, and recruit a group of voluntary SNOs.
Pay SNOs $1.5/TB storage and $0/TB all egress, and launch a new brand,
ask customers like $7/TB and $0/TB egress, to see if they upload much more than if they do, when we ask $7/TB for egress.

Ideally if all SNOs could participate by default, because that would be targeting new customers. So this would need to be separated from current settings. Any income from this would be additional to current situation for both SNOs and for Storj Inc.
If expansion factor is like 1.88 as skunk said, then You pay for the network like $2.82 only, and the rest from the $7 is for You.

My bet is we dont loose anything anyway, why not try?
Many of SNOs can take much more egress load for exchange of more stored data.

It’s a lot of work to find new customers: even at a lower price: because it would essentially be a new-brand/new-product. Too much work for it to be an experiment now that Storj only has a skeleton crew. The prices current customers pay is already a deal for the speeds they get, and is in-line with competitors.

An experiment to attract penny-pinching customers is better done with an actual new-brand/new-project. SNOs can opt-in if they want to try to fill spare space faster.

thats a nice website!
according to it, Storj is already 2nd place the best option - its only strange that i hear from various sides that others like AWS and Cloudflare offers “X” times free egress in the price of stored data. I believe Toyoo mentioned somewhere here about x8 lastly as an example.

Just to make sure we all have the same understanding. You suggest a payout reduction of 25% for the entire network and all we need to do is update the pricing for new customers?

@littleskunk No, no.
A new brand, just like coca-cola company have sprite and others.
A new website and name.
Storj brand stays separate. (but all the backend still on storj network)
New pricing is only for new brand, and traffic from this new brand must be billed separately, as a separate project on satellites, but all the SNOs can stay the same.
The idea is whatever comes from this new brand is just an extra.
(as a SNO i would like to try to exchange more of what i have for free - my egress capability for what i get paid for - storage space)

Ok that is escaling quickly. Changing the pricing on an existing satellite is something we could do. Maybe another satellite. A new brand is a bit much. Any customer we would onboard on that new satellite will not generate enough revenue in time. And beside that we had a 1x free egress pricing for about a year and it didn’t work out. I don’t see why it should be any different this time.

well, I don’t think this has made it into the public eye.

All what was present on the landing page was some price per TB.
(I for example didn’t know there was any free x1 egress)
(Beside x1 free is too little, a $0/TB* - where “*” states: x10 stored space, and $7/TB after" looks much better)

just an idea, because we don’t want to risk current environment.
Any experiments like this should be separate.
all i know is many operators do like that, like GSM operators launch a cheap brand, while its still on same network.
Lastly cable ISP offer much much better price for NEW customers for 2Y than to existing customers when they want to renew, because its soo hard to gain a new customer in saturated market, i guess we have similar situation here.