What does the point mean that says "Maximum downtime of 5 hours a month" in the Storj official page?

Hey, I am ambiguous about the above-mentioned point. Does it mean that I am allowed to be offline for just 5 hours per month? And what about the online time? Should I be online 99.3%of the time in a month?

Hi Mason,

I am assuming you are talking about the prerequisites found here: https://documentation.storj.io/before-you-begin/prerequisites

This does mean that you are only allowed to be offline 5 hours per month. However this is currently not being enforced since the implementation is being reviewed by the Storj team. We expect an uptime requirement to be re-implemented eventually.

1 Like

Previously, I misunderstood that I should be online 6 hours a day compulsorily given this rule. Since 6 hours was the maximum downtime. That is why I was DQed for two satellites in such a short period of time.

Although that is definitely bad for your node’s reputation I don’t think that would disqualify you based on downtime alone given that the uptime is not being enforced currently. But possibly nodes that are new/still vetting could be DQ’d due to the low number of pieces store on the machine (just thinking “outloud”).

1 Like

You are probably right about it!

I would rather suggest Storj to divert the highest traffic to the Storage Node Operator on night time. Because people’s bandwidth will be free that time and SNO can save up some bandwidth and operation cost.

And would you also suggest that customers only download data at night because people’s bandwith will be free at that time??
Because otherwise for a customer to have day while the sno has night, the data would need to be send around half the world… So the data I would use daily would need to be stored in e.g. China or Australia, depending on when I upload them…

I came up with this idea because Storj told us that their datas are copied over 8 times to different nodes.This idea may be realistic if we have a huge no. of SNO around the world. If data are divided according to the location, then it might work. If one SNO from china is online for 8 hours in the night, other SNO from the exact opposite side of the world may be online for the compensation of being offline for the remaining 16 hours. But at last it needs a huge management too.

Latency and performance would be horrible.

But to make this shorter: Your bandwith will be fine most of the time. Even during the busiest testing we haven’t seen more traffic than 40Mbit/s.

According to one earlier post, I learned that Storj is not designed to meet the gaming requirements. So At, least we might get a good income in a short time, enough bandwidth in available time and available bandwidth in enough time, and we can have cost saving too. Don’t you agree?

No. It doesn’t work that way and wouldn’t have any benefit.

1 Like

I think this was one of the ideas in Storj v2. It didn’t work out too well. While I think that the official uptime requirement is too strict, nodes that are online 8 hours per day would be a bit useless.

2 Likes

where you saw that statement?
In the v3 there is no copies. Please read:

and

3 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Success rate script - Now updated for new terminology in logs after update to 0.34.6 or later