What does this error mean? trust: satellite "118U..." is untrusted

I’m having this error on the docker console:

2021-05-23T12:50:47.520Z WARN console:service unable to get Satellite URL {“Satellite ID”: “118UWpMCHzs6CvSgWd9BfFVjw5K9pZbJjkfZJexMtSkmKxvvAW”, “error”: “storage node dashboard service error: trust: satellite "118UWpMCHzs6CvSgWd9BfFVjw5K9pZbJjkfZJexMtSkmKxvvAW" is untrusted”, “errorVerbose”: “storage node dashboard service error: trust: satellite "118UWpMCHzs6CvSgWd9BfFVjw5K9pZbJjkfZJexMtSkmKxvvAW" is untrusted\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/trust.(*Pool).getInfo:228\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/trust.(*Pool).GetNodeURL:167\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/console.(*Service).GetDashboardData:174\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/console/consoleapi.(*StorageNode).StorageNode:45\n\tnet/http.HandlerFunc.ServeHTTP:2042\n\tgithub.com/gorilla/mux.(*Router).ServeHTTP:210\n\tnet/http.serverHandler.ServeHTTP:2843\n\tnet/http.(*conn).serve:1925”}

My node dropped on earnings about 50%, and i don’t know if that error is related.

I tried to find what satellite is that but the id doesn’t match with any of the dashboard listed satellites.

Satellites status:

sat 118 is no longer in service and hasnt been for a long time.

1 Like

Yeah, don’t worry, it’s one of these log messages you’re supposed to know to ignore.

1 Like

Ok, i never saw that error. Thank you.

I guess the drop on egress should be something normal

Then i don’t know why they don’t remove that one

3 Likes

I am also still seeing this error.
It should be removed.

1 Like

Then we can miss the untrusted Community satellite. This is the first one by the way.
I think it’s better to be notified at least in log by default, but have an ability to suppress it if you are sure what are you doing.

I believe it is worth to discuss what should be done in such case. From the one side we want to see earnings and history on the dashboard, even if now this satellite is untrusted.
On the other hand, we (SNO) must somehow be notified that some satellite has become untrusted in order to be able to make an informed decision - whether we allow to store data from it or not, because there is a risk.

I would say trust is only relevant when the storagenode is communicating with the satellite. I agree that in those cases an error should be shown, but when the dashboard is reporting past dealings with a satellite, your node is no longer actively dealing with that satellite but rather just reporting on past dealings. In such cases I don’t see the value of displaying an error anymore.

2 Likes

But maybe then it is only an information and not an error? So if we had different log level the SNO could choose which log level to display and therefore if this information gets shown or not.

Ist not an ERROR message, it is only a WARN massage :wink:

Yes right, but you get the idea, to hide it by a different log level.
Otherwise I am with @BrightSilence I don’t see much of a value displaying the information of past satellites frequently and ongoing. Imagine once there might be several community satellites and as SNO you try out some of them. And imagine your precious log files get cluttered with information from satellites you have decided not to deal anymore or that have been closed down.

2 Likes

Can I move this discussions to the feature requests category?
If so, please, edit this post What does this error mean? trust: satellite "118U..." is untrusted - #6 by jammerdan to have information what exact error, otherwise it would looks weird.
And would be nice to have your suggestions or even better - the expected results there with mentioned rationale.

Or maybe even better - you can create a separate topic with all needed details as an answer on this thread.

1 Like

Done here: Message "Satellite is untrusted" in the log files

2 Likes