What Tardigrade tutorial or documentation would you most like to see?

We’re looking to increase the value of our documentation, how-tos, tutorials, etc… for users.

Here are my questions to you:

• What topics are you most interested in seeing?
  • Would you like to create those?

Id love to crowdsource from our great community. Please give your feedback and keep an eye on this thread!

1 Like

I would like to see a diagram of the required components and optional components. Supported OS versions, core components such as docker (along with version info); watchdog, dashboard options, etc. As someone who is familiar with mining in general, it has taken a while to read through the forum to understand the bits and pieces and how it all goes together and what are the caveats, such as the problem of using multiple HDDs when not in a RAID array and how your public IP affects your ability to mine (more nodes do not equal more mining income).

I also noticed that there is no real centralized document for common SNO technical tips. For instance, running Ubuntu Linux should I update the OS and components such as docker on a regular basis? What amount of downtime is permissible, what is the best way (from an SNO perspective) to bring down a node for short maintenance?

A running list of release notes for each version/OS would be of value.

And most important more accounting for SNO payouts, current and historical, both in terms of tokens and $USD values. Current systems like Etherscan and supportXMR offer great examples of tracking payouts in a distributed system.

I am willing to contribute to documentation.

3 Likes

How to create a Tardigrade client for your language of choice.

Though probably it’s easier to just read the source code of an existing client.

Edit: if it’s reasonable achievable I’d be willing to chip in.

1 Like

I was watching the video yesterday of how to set up a node on windows. And I noticed a few things. The documentation has become really extensive and complete.

That has two sides though. For one, it holds your hand much better and people are less likely to make a mistake if they go through it carefully. But the other side is that it seem like a herculean task to get it up and running. Especially for those who are already quite knowledgeable about many of the concepts.

It would be nice to have a simple guide that takes you through the necessary steps without all the extras. I made an example for Docker installs. More info links at the end of each step still link to full documentation in case the step isn’t clear. Some steps will be obvious to some users, like port forwarding. And some can even be optional, like if docker is already installed or you already have an ethereum wallet. This format allows you to easily skip over those. I also started with identity generation, as that can take a while, so starting that first, while you set up other things makes sense.

For Docker

1. Sign up to be a node operator (more info)
    https://storj.io/sign-up-node-operator/

2. Download and extract the identity binary for your OS (more info)
    Windows - Linux - MacOS

3. Generate your identity, this will take a while. You can continue with step 4-6 while you wait. (more info)
    identity create storagenode

4. Forward port 28967 on your router to the machine you will be running your node on (more info)

5. Create an ethereum wallet if you don’t have one yet (more info)

6. Install docker for your OS if it’s not yet installed (more info)
    https://docs.docker.com/engine/install/

7. When step 3 is done, sign the identity with the token you should have received in your email after signing up in step 1. Replace the placeholder including brackets<> with the token from the email. (more info)
    identity authorize storagenode <email:characterstring>

8. Start the node. Replace the placeholder including brackets<> with your info. (more info)

docker run -d --restart unless-stopped --stop-timeout 300 \
    -p 28967:28967 \
    -p 127.0.0.1:14002:14002 \
    -e WALLET="<0xXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX>" \
    -e EMAIL="<user@example.com>" \
    -e ADDRESS="<domain.ddns.net:28967>" \
    -e STORAGE="<2TB>" \
    --mount type=bind,source="<identity-dir>",destination=/app/identity \
    --mount type=bind,source="<storage-dir>",destination=/app/config \
    --name storagenode storjlabs/storagenode:beta
  1. Enable automatic updates (more info)
docker run -d --restart=always --name watchtower -v /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock storjlabs/watchtower storagenode watchtower --stop-timeout 300s --interval 21600
  1. Check that everything is running correctly on the dashboard (more info)
    http://127.0.0.1:14002/
2 Likes

Comprehensive, single source for API documentation and possibly even some of the debug output (storage node port 7777).

Trying to build out external applications for SNOs for monitoring or external information processing can be tedious. Having to search through the forum as most of the time any changes are only included in the release threads, so trying to figure out what is current and what has been obsoleted is a huge pain. No sense in having and maintaining an API if it’s not moderately documented.

That would be my biggest documentation ask.

1 Like

thanks for the feedback so far – Im noticing a lot of SNO stuff on the wishlist. Wht about the Tardigrade side? What should we be doing there?

Could such a Qnap NAS model TS-h253Be use Tardigrade? For example for HybridMount …? If so, you could show in the film how to do it …

1 Like

Have you tried to connect it to the S3 Gateway?
Also, you can use a native app for that:

1 Like

@jocelyn, I put together a brief guide for connecting to Tardigrade via FTP to push recorded video and still images from POE security cameras.

4 Likes

Wow @fmoledina great work!!! Will be telling folks about this :slight_smile: