Why does Storj use the STORJ token?

I’m not sure I understand. It’s always cheaper to buy STORJ and pay with that, because it is accepted at the current value. The STORJ price doesn’t really matter. Of course if you’re already hodling STORJ it’s smart to buy at a peak if possible. But I don’t think many customers would go that far.

Jeśli cena tokena storj będzie 1USD/storj to korzystniej będzie zapłacić za przechowywanie w Tardigrade w USD, a jeśli cena tokena będzie 0,5USD/storj to lepiej będzie zapłacić tokenami? Klient Tardigrade musi wiedzieć ile zapłaci za 1TBm przed wysłaniem tego 1TB…

That’s not how it works. If that price is 0.50USD they compared to 1USD, they would just have to pay with twice the amount of tokens. They are still charged an amount in USD at the current rate of the token.

So if they add 50 USD to their account, they will be charged the amount of tokens that represent 50 USD at that time and receive a budget of 55 USD on their account because of the 10% bonus.

I want to pay in storj tokens - today I buy storj tokens on the stock exchange for 50USD, I will get 555.56 (0.09USD / storj), I will buy tomorrow I will get 454.55 (0.11USD / storj), but when I will pay tomorrow for Tardigrade, the 50USD will be 0.08USD / storj or I will need 625 storj - now the question is - which Tardigrade customer will have such fun? will he be buying tokens on the stock exchange?

this is the problem with all crypto price is not stable.

So don’t wait a day. Buy the tokens and then buy the service right away and that change in value really doesn’t matter. It’s up to the customers whether they want to take on any value risk. And despite the volatility from time to time, a more than 10% change is very unlikely, so even if value drops a little, it will still be cheaper to use STORJ tokens than to use a credit card.

So the value of the storj token will not increase (at least not because of Tardigrade fees)
:frowning:

1 Like

I wouldn’t necessarily say that as this does create more demand for the tokens, since that’s always cheaper. But it’s up to the customer whether they want to take on any value risk.

Only value tied to STORJ token right now is the 10% discount customer gets when paying in STORJ vs credit card. However it is unlikely that big customers will go through extra hurdles to buy tokens, eth and pay for the service That way. Instead they can negotiate discount directly with tardigrade. And small customers will not be buying enough token to influence the price.

So in my opinion, token value will not go up unless storj itself starts buying back the token or makes it only way to pay for the service. If things stay the way they are in regards to token and its usage, then the price will only go down due to dilution from extra tokens storjlabs is unlocking.

3 Likes

You will get paid in storj coin when you run your own storj node.
However why storj coin? I am wondering what is advantage of being paid in storj coin compared to real money like USD.
Apparently, it is able to pay with a credit card for using storj network.
Having real money payment for network usage charge but why not payout with real money for operating storj node instead of storj coin?

STORJ tokens are intended to facilitate the provision and receipt of data storage and related services through Storj Labs’ software application, which serves as a user interface and development platform on the network. STORJ tokens are not intended to be a digital currency, security, commodity or any other kind of financial instrument.

But in fact SNOs, providers, salaries, etc are paid in STORJ tokens. Storj Labs and Storj Labs International SEZC (formerly Storj Labs (British Virgin Islands) Ltd) own around 275M STORJ tokens so I guess tokens will be used to pay everything in the STORJ ecosystem.

Check link below for further details.

To me it brings absolutely nothing that their token is based on Ethereum. Does it bring anything to you? Smart contracts don’t matter for payouts: it’s just accounting/credits to add. You could also remove the held amounts rule completely if you were to credit tardigrade accounts~. And at least suppliers could start using the service more.

It’s just more waste. ACH/SEPA payments are FREE…which really raises the question of why Ethereum? in the first place, if not for the marketing/hype/(supposed) coolness~. :sunglasses:

same reason i’m running debian… it’s established, and is one of the most user active distributions… which means it will see the most development and innovation for the next decade or so…

sure they might make another choice today… and no i don’t use smart contracts for anything :smiley: but that doesn’t mean it isn’t the right choice to be sure that one has options.

free… nothing is ever free… just like nothing cannot exist, it’s an idea in peoples heads … if its free to you then you pay with something you don’t miss or somebody else is paying for you

that is only applicable in the EU and only when working in euro’s, and the reason it’s free is because the EU has decided that having tons of private people eating up 2-3% of the GDP in transaction fees is a bigger cost than managing it themselves… which also allows them more control of the region and more data to potentially track and shutdown dissidents, meanwhile giving the economy a boost… for something that will only get easier to manage in the future via IT.

so yeah ACH/SEPA isn’t that useful for an american based company…
sure maybe they could make use of it… but its only a small part of the solution…

the eth fees will go down eventually…

2 Likes

Did you pay for Debian?.. :laughing: I am only teasing you now~~ :crazy_face:

1 Like

I like how this thread keeps developing.
It is a bit of a strategic decision so I cannot really answer that question.
Currently payment is done with a ERC20 token. I really have no idea if ERC20 functionality, like Smart Contracts etc. is required, or considered to be required in the future.

So you see? It really depends on some strategic decision about which direction this project is going in the future.

Also I don’t have enough knowledge about all the other cryptocurreny projects and token platforms that do exist.

But if it was at my sole discretion I would have an unbiased look at Dogecoin. It works very well for payment. It is fast, solid and fees are extremely low. Mining is secured by LTC miners and due to infinite number of coins, there is no indication fees would ever go even near the current gas price.
Also almost anything can be build on top of Dogecoin, like tokens and stuff. I am sure Dogecoin developers would be willing to help with whatever would be required.

As said: I would have a look at that or a least not exclude it too early from possible candidates.

What many here forget: The STORJ token was created by storjlabs, so it was basically a lot of free money. Similar to creating your own cryptocurrency but without having to maintain a network of miners.
So switching to a different coin won’t work unless it would be a similar token system.

however, this whole discussion is IMHO a waste of time because there are lots of reasons why storjlabs won’t change their means of payment.

3 Likes

I wonder why you won’t think Storj execs & devs would have sat down and discussed which payment system to use.

As already mentioned by Shawn

Ethereum-based token offers clear solutions to the problems listed above:

1. Development is extremely active. Features are added regularly and bugs are dealt with quickly.
2. Ethereum transactions are usually confirmed in seconds to minutes.
3. Ethereum fees are currently negligible.
4. Future layer 2 solutions like Raiden are promising, and explicitly support ERC20 tokens.

I appreciate that you mentioned you have no idea how crypto ecosystem works but you have to at least trust Storj won’t put their business at risk without doing due diligence.

There is a section of miners that think ETH 2.0 would make miners lose interest and move away from mining completely. This might lead to a split in chain but that is a topic of another thread.

Storj migrated from BTC which was and still is #1 and is currently on ETH which is #2. Dogecoin’s rank is #32 You have to at least agree that bug fixes and features would be more for a crypto at #2 than #32

1 Like

From what I recall one reason for moving away from Counterparty was high BTC transaction fees.
And yet here we are again now with ETH and high transaction fees.
It is up to you to judge for yourself how well thought this appears to be.

Yet I have tried to make clear that there might be very good reasons to keep sticking to the current token as it is, so there is no need to put that otherwise, specifically as you have asked me what platform I would suggest.

I have no information if Storj has ever thought of Dogecoin for payment purposes, have they? Even if they did, crypto times have changed since 2016/2017 so there is no reason not to mention it (again?).

It was not my intention to create a useless my crypto is better than yours battle.
I am saying that if Storj is looking for an alternative they should not rule out Dogecoin easily despite that silly dog logo. It’s fast and proved its stability and reliability. It is secured by LTC miners, transaction fees are low if not zero, it currently processes about the same number of daily transactions as LTC, more than Dash and developers are devoted to the project, therefore any issues get dealt with rather quickly. Even Vitalik Buterin not too long ago has tweeted: “I’m very pro-Dogecoin.”
I believe he has his reasons why.

There are several very high spikes in Ethereum gas prices:

Each spike is short lived… but still quite painful. ETH 2.0 is a proof of stake, which should completely stabilize transaction fees. There’s some hope that something concrete will be released by July 30th

The Tardigrade customers pay in USD the SNO are retributed in USD per GB of egress or TBh of storage. So why are you using an highly fluctuating/speculative Storj token in the middle, with high fee cost for the Network and the SNO?
You could just send cash back to our credit card, it always pleasing to see a plus on our credit card which could be invested in developing our node or buying some crypto’s like Storj if we wish.