Your node has been disqualified only 1 satellite

Good morning,

this message appeared on my node

Your node has been disqualified on 118UWpMCHzs6CvSgWd9BfFVjw5K9pZbJjkfZJexMtSkmKxvvAW. If you have any questions regarding this please check our Node Operators thread on Storj forum.

only on the satellite:
satellite.stefan-benten.de:7777

because the Audit percentage dropped to 58.8% after a hardware change.
Is there any way to recover from this situation or will I have to start over?

Best Regards
Tony

If the audit score is below the 60%, the disqualification is permanent and not reversible.
If you replaced the hardware but not migrated data - this identity will be disqualified on all satellites in a short time.

The only way is to start over with a new identity, new authorization token and clean storage.
However, if you able to restore data, it could possible that node is survived on remained satellites.

I copied all the data and checked the contents of the files several times before restarting the node.
Instead, I had problems with the setup of the node, in fact I had to restart it several times due to configuration problems!
Is there no way but to start over?
Only one satellite disqualified me, the others are all 100%!

If data of customers of other satellites is intact, then you can continue run this node.
The satellite which disqualified your node will not give your node any customers’ data anymore.

Ok, so I could leave the node active anyway?
What will happen to the data that belonged to that satellite that disqualified me?

yes you can leave the node running. Many nodes did a Graceful Exit on stefan-benten, so that puts you in good company :smiley:
Not sure what happens to the data, it should get removed iirc.
Hopefully your setup is now stable and good on the other satellites.

The data will remain there. We do not have an implementation of data removal for that satellite disqualified your node.
You can take a look on mapping folders and satellites here:

ok, so if I understand correctly,
I could manually delete the folder with the data of the disqualified satellite.

That is in my case
Satellite
satellite.stefan-benten.de:7777
Folder
abforhuxbzyd35blusvrifvdwmfx4hmocsva4vmpp3rgqaaaaaaa

Quite right?

Yes, looks correct. However, it’s up on you - keep it or remove it.

Ok, actually if the satellite doesn’t ask for more data from me because my node is disqualified, why keep those files to take up space?
This space could be used by other satellites.
Am I wrong?

That is correct, but people are just generally wary of advising people to remove data. So please be careful you only remove the right folder and don’t touch anything else. This satellite is also in the process of being repurposed and it’s not entirely clear what that would mean for people who exited or got disqualified on this satellite. So yeah, it’s your responsibility, but I see no fault in your conclusions.

1 Like

ok understood … then I will keep the node active until further notice.
Question, why hasn’t it been implemented that if a node is disqualified from a satellite, not all data is deleted?

1 Like

Partly because of the danger involved in getting it wrong. Say your node was not DQ’d, but it thought it was because of some bug (either on the node side or the satellite side). If the node immediately erased everything belonging to that satellite, it would have kind of a hard time recovering from the bug!

It would be nice when SNO could reset only the DQed satellite and do not need to start fully at zero.
I am also DQed on a satellite but my node keeps runnig (1y old) and I would love to have an option just to start at zero only on the DQed satellite with the same identity again :upside_down_face:

I have a suggestion exactly like that:

I would not like to create a second node just because one satellite DQ my old one, especially since I do not know of a way to make the new node work with only that one satellite.

2 Likes