Add multiple drives in Docker commands

Hey! I have just started running a storage node and was wondering if anyone knew how to add multiple drives into a node via the docker commands. I presume it is just by adding another --mount but not sure how.

The advise is to run 1 node per drive.

Otherwise,…there are raid, lvm, mergefs, zfs, etc which are not up to the node but the OS

1 Like

What would you recommend for a Raspberry Pi? ZFS/MergeFS sound good.

I did run up to 10 nodes on a pi4, single ip so no extra work for the pi4

Lvm worked ok but it doesn’t spread the io load very well. Not sure zfs is a good choice at all for the pis

1 Like

certainly dont use ZFS on pi. lvm is standard linux solution. cant comment on mergefs

1 Like

MergerFS looks good. Unlimited drives you can merge and looks simple.

Why not have one node per disk? Do you only have one network port available?

2 Likes

Running multiple nodes seems un-needed - I like having one dashboard for everything.

1 Like

Well, if you lose one disk, you will lose everything. Using strip is always more dangerous.
Also, you can have one dashboard for multiple nodes. Official multinode or unofficial of you want more detailed data.

3 Likes

I never intended on being a big time node operator, just doing it for fun. What is multinode, and how can I run multiple nodes via the same IP/hostname?

multinode is storj official way to monitor multiple nodes via one UI.
running multiple nodes is easy, you just need to generate certificate for each and use different ports.
you can look up my solution if you want, its here on this forum. I run 8 nodes that way on one server, just because its a way to utilize extra storage and unused disks I had around.

I’m far from big node operator myself, just started out of interest. Its already making more then power cost is for the server, which was my goal. Now its just to watch how far it can go.

1 Like

You may take a look at How to add an additional drive? - Storj Node Operator Docs

For multinode dashboard (it will not create nodes for you, but you can add all your existing nodes to there, even if they running in different locations): [Tech Preview] Multinode Dashboard Binaries
And you may be interested in: Multinode Dashboard Docker image

1 Like

Thank you for all the information. Do I need to make more noip hosts?

Another question - because my node is running on Docker, how do I generate an API key?

just run shell in docker container

Via docker exec? Not sure if that would work because I don’t want to interrupt the node running.

it works just fine. you will not interupt anything by connecting to docker container.

1 Like

Thank you. I’ll update this post with how it goes.

no, the existing is fine. Just make sure it’s updating when your external IP changes.

1 Like

So when running multiple nodes, I create a new port forwarding rule on my router, and change the port for the Docker container to create the server.