I am writing to you on behalf of a group of operators working in the Storj network
(at the time of publication, about 8+Pb Used storage and 2000+ nodes had already confirmed participation). Our goal is to bring to your attention a situation that has recently arisen and is causing us serious concern.
We would like to discuss the recent reduction in operator payments from the network management. We understand that running a business in a competitive environment requires certain measures, but such significant reductions in wages directly impact our well-being and motivation.
We are aware that network management claims that all changes in labor remuneration are necessary to ensure the stability and growth of the company. However, as operators, we are aware that these changes are accompanied by a significant decline in our income, which in turn negatively affects the quality of our work and our motivation.
Therefore, we intend to initiate an indefinite strike by periodically shutting down nodes. We will be organizing node shutdowns for one day every month until a satisfactory level of wages is found for the Network Service Operator.
Since the introduction of tariff changes, the actual revenue of the Network Service Operator has decreased by approximately one and a half times, despite your promise to maintain it at the previous level. There has also been no increase in egress and stored data. Therefore, if it is of crucial importance to reduce expenses on traffic payment, we suggest raising the storage tariff to $2.5, and everyone will be satisfied.
The first node shutdown is scheduled for November 11th at 17:00 UTC+0.
We want to emphasize that our decision to go on strike is not taken lightly, and we fully understand its consequences for us and the company. However, we do not see any other way to express our dissatisfaction and draw attention to our concerns. We had a previous discussion where we hoped that the management would stop at that point, but unfortunately, the management has continued to reduce the payment.
- In July, we were taken aback, but there was an explanation provided regarding the economic reasons, etc., and reluctantly, we accepted it.
- You had promised to increase the traffic to compensate for the decline in revenue, but instead, two satellites were removed.
- Now, without any explanation, you are further reducing the compensation, citing that “it’s only 2/3 of 1/5, and just pennies” while mentioning that the SNO does not oppose it. However, we strongly object to this decision.
We urge network management to consider our demands and sincerely hope for a constructive and open dialogue. We believe that together we can find a compromise solution that takes into account the interests of all parties.
We express our deep concern for the current state of our network and wish to convey our heartfelt desire to actively participate in its development. The network plays a crucial role in our daily operations, and it is essential that we collectively strive to improve its performance and capabilities. We firmly believe that by working together, we can address the existing challenges and explore opportunities for advancement.
Additionally, we would like to extend a special invitation to all operators to join us in our strike action. We understand the significance of unity and collective action in advocating for our rights and concerns. United, we can make a stronger impact and bring attention to the issues that need urgent attention. We kindly request your participation and solidarity in this important endeavor.
The commencement of the campaign is scheduled for November 11th, with a planned downtime duration of 24 hours for node shutdown:
- UTC: 17:00
- GMT: 17:00
- Central European Time (CET): 18:00
- Eastern European Time (EET): 19:00
- Atlantic Standard Time (AST): 13:00
- South Atlantic Time (SAT): 14:00
- Pacific Standard Time (PST): 09:00
- Eastern Standard Time (EST): 12:00
- Central Standard Time (CST): 11:00
- Mountain Standard Time (MST): 10:00
- Alaska Standard Time (AKST): 08:00
- Hawaii-Aleutian Standard Time (HST): 07:00