Error messages for the love of god, simple error messages please…
it would be wonderful if we could get some sort of log translation tool or clear error messages in log lines.
usually it’s just an insanely long stream of confusing text which we even with some time spent basically cannot decode easily…
it would be very practical if there simply was an error message… so like it would tell us if, its real problem or just a connection being dropped.
doesn’t even have to be advanced, just good enough that one can sort out the errors one is suppose to just ignore… like dropped connections or latency or whatever causes them.
not sure if anyone has suggested something like this yet.
Edit by @kevink:
These error messages should have a different log level:
- download failed & upload failed with closed networks and similar --> INFO should be enough since it’s part of the normal operation of a node, WARN at most.
- graceful exit satellite not found error if you GEed on stefan-benten --> WARN. It’s understandable that this is an error because of how it is supposed to work but it makes looking for real errors difficult. So until this is fixed, the error message should be a WARN
- Unexpected shutdown of runner --> WARN since that is just due to stopping the container but it could be argued that this is an acceptable error message, however, it doesn’t indicate that something is broken or need to be fixed. It just informs that the runner was shutdown unexpectedly but it will just continue fine after a restart. I understand that the runner probably doesn’t know the difference of it being killed or the node being stopped/restarted.
- fatal error message you sometimes get when restarting/stopping/updating your node. Shouldn’t happen (as discussed in a different thread) but still does happen. And therefore it is annoying, because a fatal error is something that breaks your node but in this case you actually have to ignore a fatal error because it is “normal”.
- I’m not sure what log level “upload rejected” is but it should be a WARN.
Appreciate the new “Setup” option is to prevent nodes starting when pointing at wrong location, but seems this is creating it’s own issues with SNO operators not expecting to see this new command when expanding number of nodes.
Would be great if the error generated;
Error: Error starting master database on storagenode: group: — stat config / storage / blobs: no such file or directory — stat config / storage / temp: no such file or directory — stat config / storage / garbage: no such file or directory — stat config / storage / trash: no such file or directory
Could also include something like.
Error: Error starting master database on storagenode: group: - If this is a new node, make sure you have run the setup command first to create config.