February 12, 2024, January payouts complete, zkSync announcement, Ukraine bonus announcement, Cost basis announcement

Hello! Payouts for the completed month of January are done.

First off, hopefully you have seen our announcement regarding payout rates that took effect December 1st. You should go read this if you haven’t, especially as it generated a lot of (very valuable) discussion. This is the second pay period where these rates were applied.

Layer 1

For layer 1 payments, we paid 1,342 unique wallet addresses. There is no specific minimum payment threshold but it appears that for standard payouts, the pipeline was able to pay out for people who earned $13.16 or more.

zkSync

For zkSync Legacy/Lite payments, we paid 862 unique wallet addresses. Thanks to everyone who helped us keep fees low by adopting zkSync! As a reminder, in September, we announced that zkSync Era and Legacy adopters now receive a 3% bonus.

For zkSync Era payments, we paid 134 unique wallet addresses. This is once again the most yet, and thank you for volunteering to help us try this new technology! Like zkSync Legacy/Lite, zkSync Era adopters received a 3% bonus. Note that zkSync payments of both kinds are now also subject to a minimum payout threshold. The pipeline paid any zkSync transaction of $0.82 or more.

As of last month, and thanks to our friends at txFusion, zkSync Era now supports paying fees in STORJ token, thanks to txFusion’s STORJ Paymaster! Please see our thread at https://forum.storj.io/t/storj-can-now-be-used-for-fee-payment-on-zksync-era/24990/ to see more about how this works.

Note that because zkSync Era now supports paying fees in STORJ token (which was the last remaining thing zkSync Lite was better at than zkSync Era), we are now sunsetting support for zkSync Lite. Starting in 2 months, we will start processing wallet addresses that have opted in legacy zkSync through layer 1. You will need to opt into zkSync Era if you want to keep using layer 2.

If you want to start using zkSync Era, you can do so in a similar fashion to zkSync Lite/Legacy by modifying your wallet features configuration. The wallet features value is an ordered list and can include multiple values. Here is how you would specify preferring zkSync Era to zkSync Lite/Legacy, and zkSync Lite/Legacy to layer 1 in your config file:

operator.wallet-features: ["zksync-era", "zksync"]

And here is how you would specify it on the command line:

--operator.wallet-features=zksync-era,zksync

Naturally, you can remove zksync from the comma-separated list if you only want zksync-era.

Cost basis tool

In advance of tax season, we are finally introducing something that has been long requested - clear cost basis reporting!

We haven’t yet added this data to storage node dashboards, which is a bit more complex since we would need to create a new protocol to provide historical data. So, instead, we’ve created a new tool for looking up the historical cost basis of any SNO transaction in 2023 and 2024:

https://costbasis.storj.tools/

I know some of our SNOs are quite handy with making scripts and tools. We thought of you and made sure there is a JSON API provided by this tool (click the Raw link after looking up a transaction for an example).

Ukrainian bonus

The new policies for bonuses to Ukrainian node operators announced in October are still in place. Note that this is the final month of these legacy Ukrainian node bonuses.

Final thoughts

Across all layers, we paid 2,320 unique addresses. As always, if you have more questions, please make sure you’ve read through our mega FAQ.

8 Likes

I haven’t really paid attention to this before, but if there were 2320 wallet addresses, and just over 23000 nodes… then that averages to around 10 nodes per SNO? Given there are still people not using the same address for all of their nodes… perhaps there are really less than 2000 SNOs?

I’m still jealous of some people (like Th3Van) with such large and well-run setups. But I have yet to fill my first disk, so I can’t feel too bad :slight_smile: . If he has 110’ish nodes… has anyone heard of larger (non-Select) setups?

1 Like

It also means that many SNO aren’t paid every month. Think about the 13.16$ minimum for a pay out and what is needed to achieve that every month. (and in combination with held back amount)

4 Likes

I mined the three networks for outgoing payments from three addresses which I think belong to Storj and quickly threw this together to get an idea of the payout distribution:

Note that “unique” here is the same definition as in the OP. The median address receives 26.6 STORJ which is about $17.5 USD at time of writing.

And here’s a non-logarithmic plot with 200 STORJ upper limit:

Wow! A 200-coin payout would be for about… 88TBm? That’s quite the setup (and probably took years to fill?).

I didn’t receive a payment for January.
Maybe I was under the minimum that month due to the payment decrease in December.
I have a 21 TB server with almost no down time set up for over a year now and it only gets up to a little over 5 TB used. Starting to think this isn’t going to work in my situation anymore.

Could you please check the Payout info on your dashboard? Perhaps it’s added to the Undistributed amount? Or is it possible that you opted-in for zkSync? In the last case you need to check the zkSync block explorers (both - Lite and Era).
You may also check the Payout History, there is information regarding what were distributed too and if it were distributed, you would have a link to the transaction.

Thanks Alexey,
Yes I found it in the undistributed amount. Wasn’t enough to make the minimum.
Any suggestions on whet I should look at to increase my used amount? It has been stuck at 5.2 TB for months. I have 15.79 free.
My internet connection is DOWNLOAD Mbps = 579.76 UPLOAD Mbps 23.25
I do not believe my monthly bandwidth is limited or throteled.
Suspension Audit is 100% Suspension, 100% Audit, and between 99.97% - 99.99% across the board. Thoughts?

You could try running the successrate script. It parses your node log to see things like how many times an upload was attempted to your node vs. how often it was completed. If it’s a low percentage then for some reason you’re losing upload races.

1 Like

check the logs for filewalker errors, describe the setup, filesystem, clustersize etc.

2 Likes

Also check your neighbors in your subnet.
http://storjnet.info/neighbors

2 Likes

I thought 6 months i.e. before the end of winter - October, November, December, January, February, March
Please tell me which month will be the last month for bonus payments?
And I want to thank you again, this bonus helps a lot!

Right - February is the final month of bonus accrual. Sorry, it’s confusing because the month that is earned is paid in the following month. So yes, the payouts for the month of February in early March will be the last payouts with this bonus.

2 Likes

It’s a pity that March is not included.
I understand you, thank you very much.

Well well, i now moved from zksync to era for the upcoming payoutcycles :slight_smile:

Btw is there anything similar like https://trade.zigzag.exchange/ for Era where we can Trade/Swap Storj Token on the ERA Network? I haven’t found anyhing yet wihtin the available ERA dapps which would cover the Storj Token.

There is the user pool
h ttps://syncswap.xyz/pool/0x528E54D73eBFfa9041CEAA399c923Eb4ee7D4B73
put that in metamask app web tab.
Unfortunately the volume and liquidity are extremely low so it is POC only really i.e. you could swap a storj to see how it works but you could lose out on rates

1 Like

At least i am looking forward to accumulate enough storj to put a bit more liquidity on it.
unfortunately it will take 5 months, sicnce im not a big fish here.