Help set up my node using 15 usb 3.0 external hdds with Windows GUI

Hi, i read and watched all guides for seting up a node and im not a noob, as i mine other coins too. Still my node shows offline. The DUC 4.1.1 is ok, all green, the router however im not sure about, so here is a pic.

I just quit trying, i dont knwo what to do or how to set up all my hdds. As far as i understand i should not use Docker but use windows gui method which is newer?
Anyway, any help is appreciated.
Thanks

The router settings:

what about windows firewall settings?

https://documentation.storj.io/dependencies/port-forwarding

My node is ONLINE! Big thanks!

I guess the ports on the router settings were the problem, as when i set the external port number also, after a restart it shows online.
The firewall rule was done via cmd and i checked and it was ok.

Now the next question is how do i add my other hdds? Now i added only one of them as when i installed the node i think i could select only one drive? Am i right or i missed something at that step? How can i add all of them?

i would fill that drive first as you need to vet each new node for a month, so traffic will be reduced. Once your near full i believe you would have to use the gui toolbox to add a second gui node on windows. Cant verify as i’ve used a second pc for new node. The other option would be to raid your drives and then expand your storage space in the config file. This method has its pros and cons which again i’m not the person to give them to you.

3 Likes

Just to clarify, and because there are some bad assumptions about the activity, Storj is not mining, its a cloud storage with real customers, so the regular traffic is nor predictable neither garanteed, but you could also receive periodically testing data to test the infrastructure. The token is used as utility token you can then exchange in ETH/fiat. It is better to start with one node on one HDD and waiting the filling as recommanded earlier, since you won’t get more data if you add more hdd as the same time behind the same connection (data are splitted through the nodes as a large single one, and thus vetting/filling is much longer and less profitable in that way in short term).

I personally continue to use Docker, its easier to create multiples containers if you wish add more nodes/hdds on one machine in the future than the GUI version. But you’ll also find tools on the forum to install multiple GUI versions (but I didn’t tested yet, and I don’t like using “tier” tool). I have personally no more issue with Docker 2.1.0.5.

6 Likes

After the next restart this morning, it looks offline even after 30 min. DUC is green and starts with windows. Do i have after each restart to manually start the Storj node dashboard? Does this thing start only if i open it or put it in startup? Why cant we see an icon in the tray like DUC has so we can know if its runing and how? This is like the worst project ive ever been in. So unorganized and cheap made. I will be very surprised if this project will ever have a future or do something usefull for people.
I closed and opened 2 times the dashboard, i even did another restart. Still offline. I didnt change anything since last night when it worked in 1 min after i set the router ports corectly.
It looks like it doesnt see my info and node id, comparing with last time it was offline but showing that info.

I’m guessing your HDD isn’t available. Please check the node logs for hints as to what’s wrong.

It came up after 30 min after restart. I forgot about it, and now when i checked its online. Thanks

Update: next morning, after a restart, and also a second restart, its permanently offline even after 3 hours… nothing changed since last 2 days when it worked :frowning:

Use this checklist to diagnose the issue.

i rechecked everything and is all set right. The problem is the port test shows its closed no matter what i do, retsrat the pc, the router, rechecked everything, yesterday was working with the same settings and now its not. Even with firewall disabled. I already invested in my opinion too many hours in this. I think i had enough, until this project evolves and works as it should, and its mature enough, im out to the neighbours… Sia. Thanks, goodluck and goodbye.

If the port is closed it’s your network setup, not the storj software. But if you want to put your storage to good use, I think we’ll sia back soon. :wink:

By all means look at other options, most of us here have done that too.

4 Likes

EDIT: Oops! Stray comment without reading the whole thread… I should probably delete it

Running a Sia node requires purchase of SIA coins on an exchange before the node can be publicly advertised on the Sia network.

Randomly found website with exchanges listing SIA

It’s also good to remember that Sia runs on its own blockchain and the token is not an ERC-20 token. So, it’s not possible to trade SIA on DEX platforms such as Uniswap.

what choice do i have? i have to use the one it works… now after another restart the port shows open and after 1h still offline… its just acting weird…

I would like to suggest to check everything. Maybe it’s worth to write down the result of each step.

Since you using the docker version, I would like to suggest you to roll back the Docker desktop to the 2.1.0.5

i did check every step every time, i even know why it doesnt work… in the last 24h worked until 1h ago when again it shows offline because port is closed. Sometimes shows offline but i can see the node id. Sometimes that id also dissapears while its offline. I dont change any settings, and i rechecked them every day, they r unchanged. I even know them without reading. Sometime it stopps, then after the restart or even by itself starts again. Theres nothing i can do more.

What the version of the Docker desktop you currently use?

i only use DUC 411 and Storage node dashboard.