Host a node on Synology/QNAP NAS

Hello Storj community,

I’ve heard about this project since long time now, but I’ve a decent internet connexion since only few weeks.

I’ve the idea to host a node on a Synology DS118 or QNAP TS-128A with a HDD of 4To and dedicate the 50% allowed by Storj (2To).

My very first question : Is it possible to do that ? I’ve read some post where community host it directly on a personnal computer and let it run 24/7, but not find the informations regarding NAS.

I’ve seen on the last January Storj Lab town hall that NAS will be a solution but is it already possible to made a node with it or it will be in the future when the project will be in production ?

Does some of you already have a connexion of 200MB Download / 200MB Upload ? It will be approx my connexion speed and would love to have feedbacks.

Last but not least, does the installation of a node on a NAS could be done with a Chromebook ? I supposed yes but I prefer ask noob questions sometimes.

Thank you for your help, and have a nice day.
Julien.

Hi Julien,

This thread should help.

PS: Searching the forum using tags (by clicking on them like NAS here shown under the title) gives you list of all threads related to them.

2 Likes

I have 2 Synology´s 412+ running Storj.
You just need to make sure your model runs Docker containers, otherwise it´s not possible:
https://www.synology.com/en-global/dsm/packages/Docker

2 Likes

Hey guys,

Thank you for your very quick reply. I’ve just seen the information about the compatibility with Dockers and I will choose a DS218+ with 2 X 2To HDD.

I will give my feedback as soon as the NAS is up and ready to run.

Thank you and have a nice day.

2 Likes

This shouldn’t have any problem since your NAS is plus model

Apparently it’s not work with all the “+” models. At the beginning I’ve the idea to do a node with a DS118+ but you don’t have the possibility to install Docker on it.

It’s pitty because the idea was to put a DS118+ on every home of my firends who’s got a well connexion :smiley:

I’ve seen that it’s a possiblity to manualy install Docker on every synology NAS : https://tylermade.net/2017/09/28/how-to-install-docker-on-an-unsupported-synology-nas/

Any feedback regarding this possiblity on a DS118+ ?

Another question if I choose a DS218+ with 2 HDD. Can I create 2 separate node ? One on each HDD ?

Thank you !

1 Like

Yes, you can run 2 node on 1 NAS but what is the point?
Since it share bandwidth in same subnet.

This will double vet process time.

@PREMIUMTEA the point is to know if a well connexion could be split between 2 nodes.

I’ve seen on the calculator the maximum UP/DOWN speed is set at 200MBPs each. If I have a connexion of 400MBPs/400MBPs or higher, is it possible to use 200/200 per node or it’s better to use 400/400 on just one node ?

Thank you !

It’s better use all you have in one node till the node is full then start another.

2 Likes

So after few research, the DS118+ & DS218+ can only read/write up to 110Mo/s …

Only the DS718+ can read/write up to 200Mo/s. Regarding QNAP they also purpose the TS-251B who’s apparently possible to read/write up to 600Mo/s

What you think about it ? Is it the best quality/price solution to buy a TS-251B who could easily reach the read/write of 200Mo/s instead of a DS718+ who is a lot higher in term of price.

Is it also easy to install Docker on a QNAP ?

Thank you for all the usefull infos.

It’s depend on your satisfy.
Both model is good, but I preferred Synology since I’m Synology’s Fan boy.

QNAP seem to be cheaper but regarding read / write up to 600 MB/s you need to buy the PCIe 10 GbE card if not your data from internet through 1GbE should not exceed 125 MB/s.

Synology offer the very stable OS than competitor (in my opinion), more powerful CPU, expandable, 2 RJ-45 ports for LAG or fail-over and most important for me “more warranty duration” .

However, it’s up to your satisfy (and your wallet satisfy)

QNAP and Synology are easy to install docker from their package manager.

1 Like

Thank you for all these usefull info. I think I will finally take a DS718+.

I will update this topic as soon as everything is in place.

Have a great day and thank you for the help !

You will NOT achieve read or write speeds of the mentioned 200MB/s via LAN because the device only supports 1GBe.

The speeds on their website only tell you that the processor is able to handle those speeds while encryption is active.

1 Like

The device supports link aggregation with 2 of those ports. Reported speeds can be achieved if you use link aggregation on both ends. But this is a very uncommon setup and takes some effort and a managed switch to get it to work. I have my NAS setup with LACP over 3 ports, but only on the NAS end. So I don’t see any advantage from one PC to the NAS, but I do when more than one system uses the NAS at once.

1 Like

I didn’t want to dive into link aggregation since i assumed OP’s level of knowledge + quality of home network to be more on the “consumer” side of things…no offense tho :wink:

1 Like

Hey guys,

Thank you for these very useful infos.

So if I choose a DS718+ the point will be to plug 2 RJ45 (At least cat7) on it ? Only one RJ45 will not be enougth to perform the 200 Mo/s ?

Any other solution to reach this speed level with a Synology NAS ?

What is the best solution for you in term of quality/durability/price/consumption of energy to don’t have any problems with a 200 Mo/s or higher speed connexion ?

Last but not least, you often speak about “1Gbe” what mean this data and what is the correlation with the Write/read spead measure ?

Thank you for foodbrain !

The ports on that NAS are 1gbit. This means the network speed limits your access to the HDD’s to a theoretical maximum of 125MB/s and is usually around 100MB/s in practice. Just plugging in two cables will not give you a higher speed. To actually get a higher speed you would need to set up link aggregation. More info here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link_aggregation

To be honest though, I don’t think it’s worth it for most people. It takes quite a bit of effort and specialized network equipment like managed switches to make it work. And your computer on the other end also needs to have multiple ports and support for link aggregation if you want it to work end to end with one PC. Otherwise you only see benefit if multiple systems use the NAS at once and each individual system would still be limited to 1gbps.

Another way to go would be to find a NAS with 10gbps ethernet. They’re not that common yet, but this requires your other network equipment to also support 10gbps, which it almost definitely doesn’t yet.

Also, to sum this up: 1GBe is just fine for storj and it most likely is as well for your home office needs (streaming videos from NAS, saving files to NAS). Going for a 10GBe solution will drastically raise the price and limit your choice of options as there is not quite as much 10GBe hardware available compared to 1GBe

1 Like

All these responses are very useful to understand a bit more the complexity to find a solution for high speed connexion.

Regarding your solutions finally to optimize my available bandwidth (200/200) I’ve to buy at least 2 separate NAS and operate a node on each of them ? Or you have another solution in mind ?

Because apparently my connexion is too high for the hardware available :rofl: :rofl: