How much can I earn with a 1GBit connection?

Well no you dont need a back up if your using a back up for your node your going to loose all the escrow that you had built up. Its better to just use your own hardware to start off with and build up something before spending your money.

i mean backup income source … just for fun project !! but if its come with serious i will rent few more locations

I dont know how buying a bunch of rented servers is for fun… Doing this for fun would be spending no money, not getting invested in it.

i really appreciate your concern !! as you can see there no answer for income calculation , i was invest base on chart on F&Q section 4TB base income . i was guessing i will maybe have this much …

The hardware plays a little role in the p2p network. The only demands of customers are matter.
If your nodes placed in the same /24 subnet, they will be treated as a one node for uploads and downloads, and as a separate ones for uptime and audits checks.

Each new node should be vetted. They can receive only 5% of potential traffic until got vetted. To be vetted on one satellite, the node should pass 100 audits from it. For the one node it should take at least a month.
In case of multiple nodes behind the same /24 subnet of public IPs the vetting process may take longer in the same amount of times as a number of nodes.

Location France … but host in different city … different racks , but yes i got point … what if all server in under one location …

and what most demand location in your storj network ? any status ? maybe i consider to take another server …

Across the globe, as well

OK I believe you !! its all mean i have to wait and see …

I’m pretty sure the payout from actual customer data right now is still well below the $14 you’re paying for your server. Now currently that’s compensated by test data from storj. So I’ve been making more than that every single month. But I wouldn’t bet on that always staying that way. The economics of renting a server to then provide storage just doesn’t make sense to me. If that were cheaper and viable storj might as well rent the servers across the world directly and not bother with at home hosted nodes. At some point that model has got to break down.

In the end market dynamics will balance in such a way that SNOs will make less than data centers, which is more than fair, since we don’t have to run data center quality nodes. And the above model will by definition break down.

2 Likes

Yes i do understand concept and storj try to localize network mean storj will be fastest if it susses becoz there many closest storage near by who willing to download hosted file … however i calculate , paying internet bill and power backup ruining PC 24/7 its challenging . i cant run PC or lap with just 10USD monthyl cost … this all fact are in my thoughts , another hand im server reseller too whenever i got discount . ill add in to storj that’s why thoughts was .

Sorry, I don’t understand :frowning:
What about nodes registered using different email addr? Does it matter? I mean if storj separates all web to /24 subnets, then it could be only ~17 mln. separated nodes (2^24). Because “nodes placed in the same /24 subnet, they will be treated as a one node”. Or storj will consider nodes as separated even if nodes are in the same subnet but with different emails, right?

You can use this calculator to calculate which nodes will be treated as a one node: http://jodies.de/ipcalc
Place there your public IP and specify /24 subnet.

“Only” 17 million? There are about 6000 right now.

1 Like

If there is somehow came to be a node in every publicly routeable /24 subnet with 1TB of capacity, the Storj network would be sitting at 17EB of capacity. I think that is a pretty reasonable amount of capacity. As it stands the Storj network is at 20+PB of capacity with 6000 operators, at least as per the latest released numbers in the townhall. Existing SNOs will likely be reinvesting funds into their infrastructure and new SNOs will also join over time. Definitely not an unreasonable limit to be setting on SNOs.

Can i ask what HDD model you bought?

That purchase was 2 HDD’s ago by now. And I actually didn’t spend my tokens, but could have paid for it with my tokens at the time. I’ve since found a store that accepts bitcoin and bought 2x 16TB by actually converting my tokens to bitcoin and buying them. So those 2 are what I was actually able to buy with my Storj earnings.

The 12TB:
Seagate Ironwolf ST12000VN0008

The 2x 16TB:
Seagate Exos X16 ST16000NM001G

How does this unit perform noise-wise?

Hard to tell, since there are 14 other HDD’s spinning nearby. I didn’t notice it being any worse than the others, but it is an enterprise HDD. They won’t be optimized for low noise.

Sure that, but from what I’ve read the helium filled drives tend to be reasonably unannoying.

I was thinking about replacing my Exos E in advance, before it gets too full :wink:

But said Exos E is the highest noise level I’m willing to tolerate next to my desktop and this one is even slower rotating than the Exos X series, so I was wondering if the helium makes up for that.