How much payed data is in the network?

How much payed data is in the network?

In the past, the statistics here
could not answer that question, because there was a test data in the system.

Now the test data is gone, right?
But we still have free tier data, that will be slowly phased out.
According to some people here in the forum, only 25% is actually paid customer data.

1 Like

All data on saltlake is test data, so there is still a lot left.

Based on the account statistics: I’m guessing that with this month’s upgraded accounts, paid data should be close to 50%.

1 Like

Interesting.
I think it is a shame that they will phase out the free tier and not have a deadline.
So now we still don’t how much payed data there is.

I am asking this, because I have a really hard time believing that STORJ can continue that way for much longer. Even assuming that 100% of the data is payed. Storage is mostly a zero sum game for them. So egress is the only income left.

Excluding Saltlake, we have roughly 4PB egress.

4096TB * (7$ customer price - 1,5$ node pay) = 22528$
That is 22528$ per month, minus S3 costs, minus a whole lot of other things.

How can a company with +10 employees survive with this revenue?

On youtube video, they said on average only 65 pieces maintained, so 1.5 * 65 / 29 ~ $3.36206897 (less than $4), average profit $0.638 per TB, so if assuming they have 10PB of real customer data right now, that is an additional 0.638 * 1000 * 10 ~$6380 per month.

If Storj was not on US, it probably sustainable by now…

30PB is nothing compared any major cloud service. But if Storj get bigger, I expect a fight back from ISP (like Twitch case in Korea) making the business harder…

I mean, how FB survived all those early years without monetisation?
they will have to throw up some cash, which i believe they have up front for many years to come, (“others” imho was changing tokens for cash, and they are sitting on it) they intensifies marketing as we can see since few months, if money ends, always can ask investors for more, or even sell Your self to whoever want to acquire, so 10-20 years from now Alex could still be here, if hes not bored lol

I realize I potentially make a big mistake, in the calculation on previous topic Q1 2024 Storj Town Hall Q&A.

The key thing to calculate here is this: on average they store 65 pieces, meaning: they charge customer for 1 TB, but actually store on the network 1*65/29 ~ 2.24TB.

On Q3 2024 (https://youtu.be/69e5gyGO72M?si=3KvRs2SHuS-UudKn&t=484), I don’t know they refer to 1TB or 2.24TB, if it was 1TB - the data need to be amplify 65/29, (6 * 65 / 29)/22.4*100 ~60%, so 60% of data was real data.

So if they mean paid data was what they charge the customer (and not what stored on the network) then 60% of data was real data, otherwise it is as the old calculation 26.7857143%…

Well, you can survive without making money for years. But then two things should be true.

A: You should have exponential customer growth. That way you have a large customer base you can monetize on later.

B: You need to have spare money to survive these years.

FB had both, STORJ currently fails in customer growth.

That will be interesting to see if they have saved the money from token sales.

The numbers are so low, someone mean spirited could argue that STORJ is an ICO scam that never had the intention of actually having a working business. Or that they wanted to have a legitimate business but a year ago concluded that it was not working out and they would just ride it out. The best case is that they still believe in the product and think they have some ways to finally get exponential customer growth so they can paid salaries without having to rely on ICO.

We don’t know this.
They don’t inform about talks.
There might be some onboarding talks from months, or years ongoing. And if they come to an end, we might find Storj suddenly in whole new order of magnitude disk space used…

3 Likes

Yes, this is largely inaccurate. Storj has significant growth and is doing rather well. We add new customers all the time. Storj has a dedicated sales team that works very hard. They are on the phone, meeting people, having demonstrations, meetups, and signing deals. All the time. This is not five guys in a basement office wondering why there isn’t any business coming in. There are a lot of people, very smart, very dedicated people, working all the time for this company. A lot of people who really care about this technology, the work we’re all doing (Including SNO’s), and the outcome. We’re on a positive track, things look very good, and it keeps getting better.

I know some people would like to armchair quarterback the company decisions, and because they aren’t aware of everything going on, they imagine what they think is happening. You have very smart people working day and night for this company. Many an engineer comes to the forum and answers questions, talks about changes to the technology, addresses concerns, discusses alternatives, tries to troubleshoot. This same kind of dedication is found in all members of the company. Everyone is rowing in the same direction. We all want Storj to be a success.

It’s better to be helpful in the forum and show the strength of the community and its ability to assist people dealing with technical questions and problems rather than spend time speculating on what you are guessing is going on. If you have questions, ask in the Town Hall thread. Maybe not every question you ask will be answered to your satisfaction, but what other private company will tell people everything that is happening? I think if you’re reasonable and look at where we have been and where we are now, you can see that the future looks bright.

12 Likes

Which is only natural when the information available is limited.

With that business model that Storj has voluntarily selected where it depends on independent node operators to some extent it is mandatory to spread information how the business is going to attract SNOs and keep them on board. Surely there are these town halls but only once per quarter which means we have 3 months time to speculate what is really going on. :laughing:
This even more when decisions have been made that would require internal knowledge to follow them better.

I have said it in the past and I repeat that I would like to hear more about these or read testimonials from customers how the Storj storage is doing and how they utilize the storage the SNOs are providing. On competitors websites like Wasabi or AWS we can read such stories all the time while Storjs own blog remains deserted with the last real article is from December 2023 !!!
So don’t wonder that people are having their own thoughts.

2 Likes

You can read some case studies on our website here.

4 Likes

This isn’t really reflected in the numbers.

That is the problem, it is not a 5 guys basement project, but the total stored amount of data currently is.

Almost any other company will tell me what I want to know. Because almost any other company is publicly traded and has to do so by law.

The quarterly reporting is not the problem. The limited amount of information is the problem.

I would really like to hear good news more often.

2 Likes

The last one dated from October 2023.

Write more about it then.

We already do write about it on our social media. You can find our latest posts on our linkedIn and X/Twitter feeds. These are the platforms our marketing/social media team currently concentrates on, as this is where our customers are most likely to look for information.

For example, here is the latest:

https://x.com/storj/status/1770789955771527562?s=20

and

https://x.com/storj/status/1769698290738618688?s=20

Besides this, we also have a press page with recent articles.

You might also consider signing up for our newsletter to get Storj news updates once a month. There is a newsletter sign up link on the right side of our blog page.

6 Likes

These are mostly some Crypto or Web3 startups.
Last time I checked, one of the articles was some crypto project that stored a 200GB blockchain snapshot, which is fine, but less stored data than a some of my 3 people SMB I work with. What I am trying to say, these articles, testimonials, customers are of poor value.

The only really promising integration I saw yet was Adobe. These customers have huge amounts of data. But the integration was so poorly executed and documented, that I doubt there were new customers because of this.

Please do me a favor. I know someone who works with Adobe and showed him this. Talk to someone who works with Adobe tools and show him or her this page:

Then ask the person how he/she would proceed to integrate STORJ into his workflow.
Keep in mind, these kind of people don’t even know what S3 is. There is simply no way some Adobe customers thinks “huh, that is interesting! I really should store my data offsite, I will try this STORJ”

What would be needed here is a simple step by step tutorial so none technical people could do this.

This is an example of how a good tutorial should look like:

1 Like

Here are some of our partners we have recently featured on our LinkedIn, none of which are crypto or web3 startups:

MediacastPro
Intellyx
Amove
GB Labs
Gabb Wireless
Acronis
iXsystems/TrueNAS
Tribe Social
WeSendit
and many more we featured before, such as University of Edinburgh.

Please check our LinkedIn frequently to see more updates of what Storj is up to.

6 Likes

These are just random links to burry the conversation.
I will not waste my time and just pick two:

Offering a container app in TrueNAS is not a paying customer.

Gabb is 300TB, that is less than what I backup for my SMB customers.

They offer two apps - for SNO to run a node and integration with Storj cloud for backups. They do not offer an integration to use Storj bucket as you primary storage like Nextcloud, but I think they may consider to do it too.
IX-systems also offer a special deal for their users, if they would register in Storj from TrueNAS.

2 Likes

S3 or native?
How much data do TrueNAS user store?