How to interpret the Dashboard?

Although I’ve read a good deal of the documentation here, I still find the dashboard – a thing which, I believe, is intended to convey to me (the node operator) an easy-to-understand overview of data relevant to my node – pretty much inscrutable. I don’t understand how a lot of the jargon is used.

I don’t know at all what “Trash” or “Overused” means in this context. Some terms, like “Egress” and “Ingress” make good general sense, but they’re not terms in regular use in everyday English, so a contextual definition would still be helpful. I get the general concepts of “Repair” and “Audit,” but I don’t know how those general concepts map onto the specific numbers reported. The end result is that the dashboard is a shiny and utterly mysterious thing to behold; it attracts a lot of my attention, but I rarely feel like I’ve understood what I’m looking at.

When my power company or phone company changes the format of the bill, they will typically send an annotated sheet describing what each field means. I wonder if Storj could create something similar – either a graphic, or a video screencast talking through the different fields.

I did get useful info one time, by the way…it took me an extra day or so because of the issues above, but ultimately I did get good info. I noticed that the bar graph had dropped; eventually I was able to narrow down that it was the “Usage” portion of “Ingress” that had gone to zero. I didn’t really know what that meant, but it was enough to search on in the forums, and ultimately figure out that I needed to update the Storagenode software; that fixed it immediately. So, I don’t want to suggest the dashboard is worthless! I just feel like I’m feeling around mostly in the dark when I look at it.

For what it’s worth I’m now finding these related threads:

Can we get an update of the dashboard documentation?

Dashboard UX: Percentages

Adding a grid to the webdash graphs for ease of interpretation - #7 by o1eal

Trash - the volume of data, deleted by the customer. All deleted pieces moved to the trash (see Deleted pieces will be sent to trash by default), after 7 days they will be deleted permanently if no revert command is received.

Overused - the difference between actual occupied space (if the occupied space is greater that allocated space) and allocated space. Should be zero in most cases. But if you reduce the storage allocation less than used, you will see a difference there

All traffic flow in logs from the customers’ point of view.

Egress - the outgoing traffic from your node. Downloads for the customer and egress for the node. This is a paid traffic $20/TB

Ingress - the incoming traffic to your node. Uploads for the customer and ingress for the node. This is unpaid traffic, because you will be paid for used space which is result of ingress.

Audit traffic - egress traffic to the satellite. This is a paid traffic $10/TB

Repair egress traffic - egress traffic to the repair worker. This is a paid traffic $10/TB

Repair ingress traffic - ingress traffic to the node. This is unpaid traffic for the same reason - it will generate a storage, which is paid ($1.5/TB used space per month).

See

And Topics tagged web-dashboard

6 Likes

So helpful, thank you!

Maybe it wouldn’t be too hard to implement those short definitions as tooltips in the web dashboard?

5 Likes

Please, make a feature request there: Storage Node feature requests - voting - Storj Community Forum (official)

1 Like

Done: Add tooltips with definitions to the web dashboard

2 Likes

I think this one causes some unnecessary confusion and clutter while it’s not relevant. I would suggest not showing this unless it is > 0. The same could go for “free”. These two should basically replace each other. That will make things a little more clear.

4 Likes