I am turning off my nodes permanently

I am turning off my nodes permanently what should I do to update satellites for moving their data

Please look into this post

1 Like

Why do you want to disable your nodes?

How much data do you have and do you bother with the withholding money?

I have currently 12 Servers of 4 TB each totalling 48TB, running each holding approx 1.5TB each of network storage, Currently in this month from 1 Jan to 13 Jan I have used 30TB of my internet bandwidth, and now since there is no hope of storj price increase in near short term future to $1, I cannot provide more storage for now. And another reason is every server is costing me now $250 per month totalling $3000 and I have funding for $2100 only per month. As such I thing this Graceful Exit Procedure from my side will effect Storj Network in a noticeable way.
Else, its been a really great experience with Storj in last 3 months and I learned lot of Stuff and new tech. I must say Storj is doing great what they are but they dont pay that much as I need.

I think you should probably down size the idea of storj wasnt to go rent tons of servers and spend a bunch of money it was to use hardware you already had, It doesnt make sense to spend 3000 dollars a month for servers.

3 Likes

Yeah I already reduced 4 Servers from 8TB HDD to 4TB but I still feel managing storj network nodes for me is now becoming difficult and pricy, Thats why I am quitting Storj for few years at least.

I could imagine its alot of work to manage 3 nodes let alone 12 but you will loose all the money being held for each node though that is one of the biggest downfalls…

I am following the Graceful Exit procedure and I will turn off my servers only when 100% transfers will complete. And as per the guide they said if you completed 100% then I will recieve my money for these 13 days.

Oh ok thats good at least you been doing it long enough to at least beable to do that, i feel for you tho thats alot of money thinking at least you would break even but its never the case.

One problem in this Graceful Exit Guide you shared initially dosent contains the proper commands for the procedure can you please provide me all set of Graceful Exit commands.

Is on linux or windows?

I am using linux for all

You should be able to run docker exec -it storagenode /app/storagenode exit-satellite --config-dir /app/config --identity-dir /app/identity

docker exec -it storagenode /app/storagenode exit-status --config-dir /app/config --identity-dir /app/identity

sudo docker exec -it storagenode /app/dashboard.sh

I use this for checking my dashboard,
should I use

sudo docker storagenode exit-satellite

Yes but you will need to have ran the nodes for 6 months to be able to get it. Or you will get an error saying the date when you can use graceful exit

1 Like

Actually even I will reduce my server count still I need to turn off some,

Can you please reply to this post.

The price of STORJ would not matter for current earnings as you are paid in USD. Only already earned STORJ will become more valuable.

2 Likes

I got 72TB in total, but as almost everyone else I run this from my home. V3 is still in beta so investing a lot of hardware for me didn’t make a whole lot of sense. I just setup my node on storage I already had. I would never recommend running any storage on “metered” ISPs services even if you can CAP the usage, it does not make a whole lot of sense.

The storage space itself will not earn you any money, you can have 5TB and 50TB and both could have the same profit.

This is just like buying a bitcoin miner, the business case seems reasonable now, but in 3 months it could be rubbish, or in 4 month it could be excellent as the value of the bitcoin increased from month 3 to 4

2 Likes

Not true, you get USD 1.5 per TB stored.