Migrating from QNAP/Synology to Windows

Hi!

After running a Synology node and a QNAP node for a while, I realized that this is not very stable. I would like to ask if it’s possible to migrate the existing node to Windows. If yes, what steps are needed in order to keep the same node ID and just migrate the data on the new node?

Thanks a lot in advance!

With kind regards,
Angelos Pitsos

I don’t think this is a right move here. If it wasn’t stable on two different flavors of Linux on appliances specifically designed for storage — why do you think windows server will magically make it better?

Instead, I would triage and address existing instabilities (most of the time it’s due insufficient amount of ram; changing OS won’t help)

Storagenode does not care about OS dependencies — it’s a monolithic self-contained executable (like any other program written in go).

2 Likes

If you could provide more details about your hardware and problems, we could suggest some improvements. I would also stay with NAS.

1 Like

Regarding move itself, yes, it’s possible:

However, if you plan to use VM on the same NAS, you likely will make it worse.

1 Like

Hi @arrogantrabbit & @snorkel!

Not both Linux flavors are not stable, but the QNAP only. The synology works perfectly fine (Model: RS3614xs+) and will stay as it is. I share 20TB of space from that monster, even if I have about 90TB free space. Maybe I will increase that in the future if I see that STORJ make use of the 20TB.

As for the QNAP, it is an extremely slow and old device (model: TS-251A) and it’s like a toy on my eyes. I rebooted that and it took more than 5 minutes until the OS and the “Container Station” to become available again. Also the container didn’t start smoothly. I had to start it manually and it was restarting by itself again and again. Finally I decided to remove the container and build it again, using the command. But of course I had to login to the QNAP with SSH via Putty, etc. I spent about half an hour and that cost me on “uptime”. Not to mention that the QNAP device is ridiculously slow.

On the other hand, I have a HP Z400 workstation with a nice RAID controller that sits there and I can also make use of 6x 8TB drives in total, that are not needed. In addition, I am a Windows administrator and not having lot of knowledge on Linux systems.

These are the reasons that are forcing me replace the stupid QNAP slow NAS with a system that I can administer better and faster.

@Alexey thanks a lot again for your support and the tip.

Much appreciated the time and the answers from all of you!

With bets regards,
Angelos Pitsos

2 Likes

Yes, if it’s old and slow, there is not much you can do about it. With Synology, you can put 32-64GB RAM, not OEM, because it helps alot.
This is what I use for Syno, maybe you find some usefull:

https://forum.storj.io/t/my-docker-run-commands-for-multinodes-on-synology-nas/22034

Memory guide:
https://forum.storj.io/t/synology-memory-upgrade-guide/20743

1 Like

Hi @snorkel,

Thanks a lot for the very useful information and links you shared.

Wishing you a great day!

With kind regards,
Angelos Pitsos