Minimum Threshold for Storage Node Operator Payouts

As will.topping says above… “… because they would become worthless if Storj started paying out in $”.

I’ve only been an SNO for 8 months but during this time.

• Payments have been aggregated by wallet to save ETH on payment costs
  • A $5 minimum limit has been created to save ETH on payment costs.
  • A new 25% ETH gas ratio minimum limit has been introduced (currently around $36.46) to save ETH on payment costs.

So far I haven’t actually earned anything, I have some STORJ tokens in my wallet that’s value bounces all over the place, probably cost more to send to me than they’re worth and aren’t worth converting to anything anyway as the cost of doing so outweighs the value.

I’m here for the long haul but Houston, we have a problem…

9 Likes

Ok, a closer look at the storj-operator-terms shows that Storj has the right to change the payments according to paragraph 8.9.
Quote: 8.9. Modification of Payment Terms. Company reserves the right to modify the terms of this Section 8 (Storage Node Fees) at any time, including the rate of payment and the Storage Node resources for which Storage Node Fees is paid.

In my opinion, however, trust was permanently destroyed here. Advance notice would have been very helpful. After the disbursement problems in November, which were then compensated in December, there is now another problem with regard to the payment of the SNO. I am not indulging in any illusion. New SNOs will try their luck and so there will always be enough SNOs available. I look at it critically and think about whether I can continue to operate my 4 nodes, which are all around 14 months, under these conditions and with this appreciation.

3 Likes

that’s a bit harsh considering we just got a surge payout for november. They definitely appreciate the SNOs and have shown so multiple times. But I partly agree with the rest of your post.

3 Likes

So you want Storj Labs to waste significant amounts of money to send the tokens to your wallet only to then not do anything with them because you’re not willing to pay those same transaction costs yourself.

Houston we have a… failure of logic? I don’t know what this is, but it doesn’t make any sense.

I really don’t get the anger around this. If you think even a little further that just “wheeeh I’m not getting paid :cry:”, you’d realize that if you were getting paid, it literally wouldn’t change a thing as you’re almost certainly not willing to pay the transaction fees required to actually do something with these tokens.

As for those demanding advance notice, perhaps you could ship your crystal ball to Storj Labs. They couldn’t exactly have predicted this massive peak in costs.

I’ve been a node operator for a long time and I can assure you Storj Labs has always been more than fair with payouts. I suggest giving them and the larger crypto community some time to figure out better options. Especially since let’s be honest, you’d leave the tokens sitting in your own wallet anyway if you’d have to pay 25% or more in transaction fees.

8 Likes

I never said that, what I said is that the payments have now changed 3 times since I’ve been an SNO to try and fix up this non-sensical situation.

Sorry I was paraphrasing Apollo 13.

Who said I was angry? I think the communications could be handled a lot better - a post in a forum is not really the way to handle this. A direct (or supplementary) email should have been sent. Never mind that the timing was poor - just as SNO’s were expecting a payment.
I understand that continuing to try and make payments when ETH gas is this expensive makes no sense but the writing has been on the wall for a long time (hence my post in the first place). No crystal ball required.

I suspect the whole model really need to be changed which is disappointing as it sounds like Storj Labs has been here before.

2 Likes

That part wasn’t directed at you but at everyone complaining.

I agree that an email should probably be sent out about this before the 2 week payout period ends so people know why they didn’t get paid. That can still be done though.

1 Like

Admittedly, the fees are currently extremely high and of course Storj also has to pay attention to his expenses. As I noted in my previous post, I am bothered by the form of communication. Nonetheless, you have to think constructively how you can / should deal with the fees in the future. Here I take the original idea / intention of Storj from -> use hardware that you already have. Accordingly, the expenses on the part of sno should be manageable and nobody should be dependent on the monthly income. I would therefore in principle change a monthly payment to a quarterly payment. This would drastically reduce the costs. Should I decide to get out in the first month of a quarter, I would still have to receive my money for the month at the end of the quarter. If I didn’t get out, I would receive my payment for three months in one fell swoop and at the same time you would save the fees twice. Just an idea…

1 Like

Beware though, adding things within complex programs is NEVER as easy as it seems, and usually takes a lot of testing before it actually works well :wink:

3 Likes

Are there any discussions of high gas prices in other communities? Other projects using Ethereum are probably also negatively affected by this problem.

2 Likes

Moving payments to every 3 months is just a bodge whilst the gas price is high - the same as all previous changes. It doesn’t really fix anything and is probably worse than the current change.

I am only using hardware I have scavenged from what I had, but am providing a form of RAID storage which isn’t recommended by Storj Labs as it will never pay for itself (I know that) and the redundancy from their perspective is in the system. Good job I am as I’ve already had a drive malfunction (like SATA drives occasionally do) and with the withheld fees that would have blown me out of the water.

The whole model is fragile which saddens me as we should be able to make it work.

Same with mine: even tried different browsers, still

this is not TX id, check the url and compare it with novembers paid out

Jajaj so bad
I have 3 nodes
1tb 8 mon… generates 5$ and stop 25%
1tb 7 mon… generated 5$ and stop 25%
1,5 tb 6 mon generated 7$ and stop 50%

In 10 mon… maybe i have 30$ for payment :ok_man:t2::joy:

So bad :-1:

2 Likes

I can truly understand the technical problem in the background. And i understand why there are limits for payouts at mining pools and so on. I can understand payout limits at storj, too.

But its storjs fault that they said they pays monthly and then they decide a new limit or a new heldback over night, thats simply not professional. And thats what i am complaining about.
THEY have decided how the payments will be realized. They dont react to the rising transaction costs and now there is the problem.

Im fine with future limits, but the way they communicate and decide is the problem in my opinion.
So basically we are in the same boat :wink:
Its not the “THAT” but the “HOW” :wink:

8 Likes

Not sure what to think here. Storj changing the terms at the very last moment before the payment is a really concerning precedent, especially after comparing jan and dec payouts. I hope it gets resolved with the second wave of payments in the next week and a proper withdrawal system is implemented shortly after.

The terms is not changed. You can check it: https://storj.io/storj-operator-terms

2 Likes

Guess so, because I have 28$ on one of them and didn’t get paid.

Could be a better word for this, but the fact remains - there is a big change regarding minimum payouts. I could understand the min threshold around a couple of dollars, but storj implemented the 25% condition and picked really busy time to send payouts and as a result people did not get $30 payments.

1 Like

are there any statistics ?
For example how many sno´s got paid this month vs last months?