More than one Storagenode on windows GUI

Hello Storj Team.

I have knolage how to install more than one node on windows GUI.
It is a litle bit for Advanced Users but simple.
Before i Publish it, want to hear Storj Team opinion about this.
It has some +/- also.

1)If SNO has more than 1 HDD, no need to make raid 0, what is also not recomended, in this case 1 hdd falure will not loose both hdd data.
2) separate threads dealind with separate hdd.

1. No autoupdate yet.
    For some reson autoupdate service not updating it, may be there servicename is hardcoded.
1 Like

Yes, the service name of the storagenode is hardcoded to “storagenode” in the auto-updater.

Question was, can i share it, or have more than 1 node on pc also not recomanded?

Feel free to share whatever setup you have. This is an open-source project and we encourage the community to share their knowledge and experience.

I don’t think we (Storj Labs) would recommend this setup. We haven’t tested it and, as you have noticed, we haven’t designed all components (like the autoupdater) to be tolerant to such kind of setup. This does not mean it won’t work successfully.

Mey be it is a time to test such thing, and make some update to updater.
Then people can make node per HDD, this will inproove stability and no need of raid 0

1 Like

Any change you would like to see implemented, please add your proposal to the ideas portal for consideration and others to upvote, thanks.

As I spoked before there is posible to install more than 1 GUI node on windows.

For this you neede.
1)Copy of you first node folder in program files with name like Storj1, and delete storajenode.txt old log from this map
2)New indentiry in separete location.
3)change config.yaml
console.address: localhost:14003 - this port should be unic
identity.cert-path: C:\Identity1\storagenode/identity.cert - path to your new indentiry
identity.key-path: C:\Identity1\storagenode/identity.key - Indentiry CA sert
kademlia.external-address: : - External port should be unic and NAT made
log.output: winfile:///C:\Program Files\Storj1\Storage Node\storagenode.log - Log path should be corrected
server.address: : - should be unic, to this port you will rote by NAT from external IP
server.private-address: 127.0.0.1:7779 - Should be unic
storage.allocated-disk-space: 3.4 TB
storage.path: G:\

4)Add new service with this row with corected paths.
Open CMD as Administrator
Pase:
sc.exe create StorjV3StorageNode1 binPath= ““C:\Program Files\Storj1\Storage Node\storagenode.exe” run --config-dir “C:\Program Files\Storj1\Storage Node\”” type= own start= auto

Go to services and Start new Storagenode service.
Go to dashboard to check if all working.
Not working Go and check storagenode.txt for error.

3 Likes

Today I have 5 Nodes on 1 PC veeteng process takes longer time if you veeting all then together.
As firs is veeted and maybe full start next one.

Hi @Vadim, how is this working for you 7 months later?

It works very fine. now i have 4pc with 5 nodes each.

1 Like

I think this should be implemented in an easier way for a normal user in the installation executable, this is the best way to reduce costs and maintenance.

You can implement this function.

My 12TB node is full so I’m trying to setup a second node on my 4TB HDD but the command to create the storagenode service is not working for me. It just returns instructions for the sc.exe command. Any advice on what I could be doing wrong?

Nevermind, I was able to set up a Docker node instead

@Vadim, this is not working for me. I’m actually setting up a new node, the existing one having been dq’d. I have deleted everything from the storage path. It then complains about missing dirs, so I created them manually, but now it can’t find a database. How do I create all the missing pieces?

Do you use local disks or it network connected disk?

iSCSI from QNAP NAS via network. I could not get network shares to work.

it is posible that storagenode dont have auth to write there, ot it is too slow.

Nope, this was a working installation. All I did is wipe the data store, reconfigure and try to restart. It says:

FATAL	Unrecoverable error	{"error": "Error starting master database on storagenode: storage node database error: database info does not exist CreateFile J:\\storj1\\info.db: The system cannot find the file specified.\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/storagenodedb.(*DB).openExistingDatabase:344\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/storagenodedb.(*DB).openDatabases:313\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/storagenodedb.Open:245\n\tmain.cmdRun:151\n\tstorj.io/private/process.cleanup.func1.4:353\n\tstorj.io/private/process.cleanup.func1:371\n\tgithub.com/spf13/cobra.(*Command).execute:840\n\tgithub.com/spf13/cobra.(*Command).ExecuteC:945\n\tgithub.com/spf13/cobra.(*Command).Execute:885\n\tstorj.io/private/process.ExecWithCustomConfig:88\n\tstorj.io/private/process.Exec:65\n\tmain.(*service).Execute.func1:66\n\tgolang.org/x/sync/errgroup.(*Group).Go.func1:57", "errorVerbose": "Error starting master database on storagenode: storage node database error: database info does not exist CreateFile J:\\storj1\\info.db: The system cannot find the file specified.\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/storagenodedb.(*DB).openExistingDatabase:344\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/storagenodedb.(*DB).openDatabases:313\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/storagenodedb.Open:245\n\tmain.cmdRun:151\n\tstorj.io/private/process.cleanup.func1.4:353\n\tstorj.io/private/process.cleanup.func1:371\n\tgithub.com/spf13/cobra.(*Command).execute:840\n\tgithub.com/spf13/cobra.(*Command).ExecuteC:945\n\tgithub.com/spf13/cobra.(*Command).Execute:885\n\tstorj.io/private/process.ExecWithCustomConfig:88\n\tstorj.io/private/process.Exec:65\n\tmain.(*service).Execute.func1:66\n\tgolang.org/x/sync/errgroup.(*Group).Go.func1:57\n\tmain.cmdRun:153\n\tstorj.io/private/process.cleanup.func1.4:353\n\tstorj.io/private/process.cleanup.func1:371\n\tgithub.com/spf13/cobra.(*Command).execute:840\n\tgithub.com/spf13/cobra.(*Command).ExecuteC:945\n\tgithub.com/spf13/cobra.(*Command).Execute:885\n\tstorj.io/private/process.ExecWithCustomConfig:88\n\tstorj.io/private/process.Exec:65\n\tmain.(*service).Execute.func1:66\n\tgolang.org/x/sync/errgroup.(*Group).Go.func1:57"}

then it storagenode error itself, it cant be related to toolbox, new versin looks like have some problemas with that.