First off, hello! Payouts are now complete.
We paid 598 unique wallet addresses on layer 1. All of these wallet addresses earned enough that the payment fee was 1/4th of the payout amount or less (but see below for future months!). There is no specific minimum payout threshold dollar amount, but it was roughly around $52.
We paid 915 unique wallet addresses through zkSync. Once again, we did not enforce minimum payment fees here at all as an incentive. Thanks to everyone who opted in! zkSync is especially valuable to us as we can cover (smaller) transaction fees with STORJ instead of Eth. Across both layers, there were 1507 unique wallet addresses.
When we got together for the Fireside Chat last month, there were a number of questions about payouts, minimum thresholds, L2 payouts on zkSync, and changes to the payout rates for storage, egress bandwidth and repair bandwidth. We’ve been working on a proposal to the community, and based on a suggestion from @brightsilence, we have an approach we’re ready to share with the community for feedback.
This proposal is only for how we handle payouts. As we’ve previously stated, we don’t have any immediate plans to make changes to the payout rates for storage, egress bandwidth and repair bandwidth.
We’re proposing the following changes to the monthly node payout process:
- Reducing the L1 payout threshold from 25% to 10%
- This means that with higher ETH transaction fees, less nodes will be paid each month on L1
- We will continue to do L1 payments on a monthly basis
- Example: If ETH transaction fees at the time of payouts are $10, the minimum payout for that month will be $100; Payouts below the threshold are accrued for the next regular payout
- Adding a 10% bonus to all L2 payouts
- We want to incentivize more use of L2 payouts for lower transaction fees
- We will continue to do L2 payments on a monthly basis
- Example: If a normal payout transaction is $100, the actual payout on L2 for that month will be $110 paid in STORJ
Ultimately, we are interested in paying transfer fees in STORJ where possible, and zkSync lets us do this. We previously considered a fixed-amount bonus per zkSync transaction, but ultimately that policy seemed more likely to be abused by bad actors.
Please let us know your thoughts! We expect this will go into effect for October earnings that will be paid in the month of November.