Post pictures of your storagenode rig(s)

yeah somebody shared a amazon or ebay link a while back with some cheap 14 tb white label western digital which was on that 5v power pin or whatever it was called… so one needed cables to fix that… but those seemed cheap… but only one reseller which made me disregard it and was also sold from america, so lots of postage and import fees… atleast for me…

but price seemed right… but deal seemed sketchy, when there is only one guy selling them without a long term profile or amazing ratings…

í’ve been buying used drives… the jury is still out if i can recommend that or not… only lost 3-4 drives in 4 months lol but i guess they where on their last legs… so cannot really attribute that to be the drives fault… but yeah maybe not buy used lol
sure can be a lot of trouble… but also can be nearly half the price at times…

2 Likes

I have seen quite a few reputable dealers in the US selling Western Digital 14TB drives for $200-$250 all new and I bought quite a few. Model WUH721414ALE604 - Manufacture date April 2020. I bet some order was cancelled and we see hundreds have been sold by them in the last few months. My average cost is around $15 per TB for high quality CMS drives.

1 Like

wouldn’t mind a stack of those … sadly i have other expenses at the time…
been thinking that might be my upgrade path… to give myself some free drives for when i buy a disk shelf, start throwing 14 tb hdd at my server… kinda depends on how fast i run out of space and how it fits with the summer winter cycle… because i also kinda wanted a solar cell setup… but doesn’t make much sense to buy that just before winter…

i bet drives are cheaper in the united states… here our taxes are usually horrible… ofc atleast i don’t live in brazil so there is that lol

1 Like

Actual running 4 nodes and some webpages :wink:

3 Likes

Those black and yellow cables remind me of power supply from Bitmain which was founded in … :drum: … 2013.

1 Like

Looks like a Storinator?
https://www.45drives.com/products/storinator-xl60-configurations.php

1 Like

No, HDD capacity the same, but everything inside is absolutely different.

1 Like

You should also think about moving that machine further down :slight_smile:
Always sort by weight (only exception are UPS, they should ALWAYS go at the bottom of a rack).

3 Likes

Absolutely! I already did it, before turn on it for production :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I guess its time to take some photos of my rack(s) as well…

11 Likes

I also would like to say thank you very much! That long time ago you pointed me to the optic internal network instead of copper, it prevents a lot of issues now.

3 Likes

A mere $10k?
I wonder how long it’d take me to fill 960TB on my home broadband connection… :wink:

2 Likes

Eh?
Surely heavier machines at the bottom give more stability to the rack by lowering its centre of gravity?

1 Like

Yes, thats exactly the reason. Imagine you pull out the 60bay chassis in the upper 4U to exchange a drive. Without a fully bolted down rack (and even then) you will have lots of fun.
Always sort things that store drives to the bottom, except for UPS, that always go below, no matter the weight.

4 Likes

Ah, right. Then we agree.
I understood your post as saying that with the exceptions of the UPSs (which should always be in the bottom), heavier stuff should be at the top :slight_smile:

2 Likes

another good reason to keep the ups at the bottom is flooding… it’s suppose to be a sacrifice for protecting the rack… so if you got 20cm of water on the floor, you will rather want a replaceable ups in it rather than a server…

even if it sucks and should be avoided in many other stages … but always nice with multiple levels of failsafes… :smiley:

1 Like

The most common failure with UPS being above servers is leakage of the batteries, if they are worn out. You can find a couple of nasty photos on the web, where that caused stacks of servers to die from these leaks.

3 Likes

ofc today with lithium batteries fire is also a thing… which moves upward…
not sure i would want a ups close anyways if its suppose to soak up stuff like a lightning strike…

2 Likes

Lithium setups are expensive and rare. And to be honest, I’ll choose cleaning up battery leaks over dealing with the aftermath of a lithium fire.

3 Likes

I like it, did you use backplane(s) or cables to connect the drives? Are they sata or sas?

1 Like