Us2 beta with filezilla

I was able to connect from Windows FileZilla, but I tried on Linux (Ubuntu) and there was no Targigrade Option even on the new version. Do I have to try an specific version or so ?

Yes, you need to download the latest version from Download FileZilla Client for Linux (64bit x86)

Finally! Great to see this! However…

The folder/bucket naming issue is really annoying and most of my folders and subfolders don’t meet this. Is this a FileZilla issue or a Tardigrade issue?

Basically not a lot of my files meet this criteria without me renaming everything :slight_smile:

I don’t think it is a naming issue. I can reproduce it by simply trying to create subfolder within a bucket with Create directory.
Weirdly it does not work and throws an error Bad arguments.
But if you use Create directory and enter it you get a success message and you seem to be in that directory. No matter what file I try to upload or what the names of main bucket, sub directory or file is, I get your error message.
Can you try to reproduce that?

So my question would be why can’t I create a sub folder in a bucket?

1 Like

It does not like bucket with period…
We are forced to use AWS bucket name conventions to be compatible with tools uses it.

Also, the subfolder cannot be exists without object, because it’s just part of the name of the object. Only bucket can exist without objects.
The FileZilla trying its best to emulate the filesystem on object storage, however it sometimes does not work.
So, to avoid errors like “bad arguments” it’s better to copy objects with subfolders to the bucket, all “subfolders” will be created automatically, you do not need to create them beforehand.

No, this is not working. Nothing gets created automatically.

I copied a file into existing main bucket → working
Copied subfolder with this file into main bucket → not working
Copied subfolder with file to root → not working

I think I also tried many other ways. Anything with subfolder does not work…

Even after trying to upload a folder with files in it, it gives the following error

Command:	list "/urbuck/testfolder"
Command:	put "D:\testfolder\document1.txt" "/urbuck/testfolder/document1.txt"

Error:	finalizing upload failed: uplink: stream error: metainfo error: metainfo error: bucket name must contain only lowercase letters, numbers or hyphens
Error:	File transfer failed

What are source and destination paths?

Main bucket: sintel
Subfolder: sintel
Filename: sintel2048surround512kb.mp4

I made several variations with bucket names and subfolder names. No success.

What is the source path?

How can the source path be relevant?

It did not like the source path with non-ASCII in the past

I can reproduce it with a v3.53.0 for any satellite, even which worked with a previous version

2 Likes

But what does this mean for a customer relying on the satellite and Filezilla with subfolders (e.g. backups)?
It is my impression that due to satellite upgrades he would not be able to downgrade to a lower working Filezilla version. Which would mean that suddenly he can not use his data on Tardigrade anymore? Is that correct or is there a fallback strategy? Or does a customer has to wait now for a Filezilla fix? Or is the issue a Tardigrade issue?

Create a bucket first, then upload your folders containing files into that bucket (base “folder” in Tardigrade).

Key here is that directories don’t exist with in S3 buckets and buckets need to play by a few rules.

This is not working at least seemingly with Filezilla 3.53.0.

I’ve just tried it again. I created the base folder on Tardigrade and locally I moved a file into a folder. To make sure the file itself can be uploaded I have tested and it does upload into the base folders without any issue.
No I changed to the parent folder locally and moved the whole thing including the tested file into the bucket. And then I get the error message and the result is like before: Upload is not working.

1 Like

I agree. If us fairly tech savvy people can’t get this working properly what hope do others have.

1 Like

Here is my experience, I first replicate the error by trying to upload to the root which would create a bucket. I then create the bucket and proceed to upload the two folders containing contents.

https://link.tardigradeshare.io/jvvgr4565kby4s7uocgcct6ru33a/customershare/Screen Recording 2021-03-23 at 6.57.24 AM.mov

For production we will need to document this and communicate this much better. Appreciate your testing.

I am on Filezilla Free!!!

BTW: How come your linkshare displays the map correctly while my linkshares do not: What happend to the ?view option for a linkshare?

Ahh yes! Free produces an error for me while pro works fine. We will contact FileZilla and have this addressed asap.

Great feedback before we hit production thank you.

4 Likes