Minimum Threshold for Storage Node Operator Payouts

This approach certainly keeps you from realizing the real issue.

2 Likes

Sure… So what do you propose they do now?

To switch blockchain or to payout in different coins.

2 Likes

Or to payout in fiat or whatever. Or take the fees. They simply have to payout :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

You do realize that even if they would switch blockchains that would be many months of development effort, right? It would also require a slow migration of all nodes, with every SNO changing their setup to include new addresses for the new blockchain.

Also, I don’t want to switch coins and blockchains… so there’s that too. I’m probably not alone in that.

That’s not exactly a now solution anyway. And I think zkSync solves a lot of the same issues, but is much easier to quickly implement.

4 Likes

a while ago I asked if a part of held tokens could be used if someone is close to the payout threshold - there was no real response
that would be really reasonable for SNOs with nodes around 12 months old

as you could probably see in another post, I started a graceful exit - mainly bc that the support from the project side is insufficient and I was actually discussing the problems with users like you, not with Storj ppl

With becoming an SNO you were also accepting everything that comes with it.

1 Like

Hi!

I haven’t received for 2 month in a row now.
Last month was because of minimum threshold introduction, and i was supposed to receive this month (i think) since it was above the threshold limit with the previous month yet i received zero storj.

$2.25 from December

• $3.73 from January
    = $5.98 this month

Also held amount isn’t showing to me!

With whom i cant talk about this?

Many thanks to all in advance!

UPDATE:
It seems that with the last update to the node erased all the stats of held amount!

I am:
node Asia-east1 at 16th month. No held amount is showing and no payment made.
node Us-central1 at 16th month. No held amount is showing and no payment made.
node Europe-west1 at 16th month. No held amount is showing and no payment made.

I 100% agree.

Noone wants to change the blockchain.
And I love the thoughts about future solutions.
There would be no problem if they develop the future solutions.

BUT till the solutions are final, they have to pay with the actual method. That would be the professional way. Not to stop Payments till they have a solution for a problem the SNOs has nothing to do with (but StorLabs could have seen).

There will be not even one discussion if they acted like this …

Unfortunately the minimum Threshold this Payment-Cycle was about 70$ :frowning:

1 Like

Absolutely, yes. But this does not change my opinion.

1 Like

the threshold will be like 100 next month

1 Like

No. (20 characters).

I think this would have been a nice solution for a subset of SNOs. Specifically those with enough held amount and those who haven’t received half of it back yet. Unfortunately that would still leave a lot out.

I can imagine this is also going to be quite complex though. It requires changed to satellite bookkeeping to store what amounts are already paid out. And it probably only works for one or two months.

The development effort for a short term solution are probably not worth it. But I think these are good ideas to bring up.

I did notice that. That’s unfortunate, but despite that I appreciate sharing ideas.

I think this is could be a separate issue. I advice you to start a different topic and include screenshots.

I can understand that argument. But there are tons of <$1 payouts which would have cost $25 in transaction costs. I think we can agree that there is at least some level where expecting that wouldn’t be reasonable. Maybe 25% as the baseline wouldn’t be ok. But would you agree with maybe 100%, so only paying out when the payout amount is higher than the transaction cost? What about 50%? Or are you hard liner at “always pay”?

Personally I also want Storj Labs to succeed and not waste money. So I’m fine with waiting for a month. But there no doubt is some pain on the SNO side from this decision. So I think it’s a matter of striking the right balance.

Storj Labs has brought up many other reasons, like the massive developer community on Ethereum, many L2 solutions being worked on, maturity of the ecosystem in general.

If you switch blockchains, it has to be a definitive solution. They’ve done this before when the bitcoin blockchain became to expensive and Ethereum had the exact same promises that other blockchains have now. And all of those still have limits. So, there are basically 2 options.

1. You pick a future proof blockchain that gains popularity, wide developer support and grows an ecosystem that will be as or nearly as expansive as ethereum. But due to that popularity, they will grow until they hit the exact same liimts.
  2. You pick a blockchain that will never take off. You’re kind of on your own when developing for that blockchain. Third party support with exchanges and other cryptocurrency infrastructure is lacking, but at least the fees are low.

This is not a good situation to be in. Especially if there are scalable solutions available on the existing widely adopted ethereum blockchain, like zkSync.

These arguments weigh heavily enough for Storj Labs to make their decision. And I can say that to you because they have been very open and transparent around their thinking. If that still doesn’t convince you personally. I’m not sure what will. But you can’t say they’ve dismissed this option without explaining why.

3 Likes

@jammerdan - I’m afraid I have to agree with @tylkomat … we all agreed to the terms and conditions when we started being a SNO, did we not?

While I agree that it’s absolutely crappy that even long lived mid-tier sized SNO’s (10-30TB, >10M old) did not get paid, don’t mistake that, and I was due around $30-$40 from this period myself. I’m also not jazzed about basically not being able to move the Storj after being paid without incurring crazy high amounts of fees to move it respective to my current holdings (~200 USD@0.5615 Storj/USD).

1 Like

If Storj Labs has their decision for whatever reason then it is also their responsibility.

1 Like

Ok, is there a section about not getting paid because Storj Labs has made wrong assumptions about Gas prices?

3 Likes

That is a problematic question. If 25% or 100%, it will always be an unfair decision because there will be some SNOs who wont get their payment.
I truly want that storj succeed, but with every day the management don`t even react to the disappointment in the community I lost the trust in that.
Nevertheless the project has to be stable. What makes me angry is that they had the chance to react to increasig gas prices, but they dont. And now only the SNOs has to take the consequences.
But on the other side I have done my work and its simply the payment for work I have already done.

But - I can speak for myself - I am ok in waiting one month for my payment. But not 2 or 3 or 4 - we still dont know how much month it will be.
If storj will pay all SNOs after one month of waiting (so in fact every second payment) I think that would be much more fair for all.

But they take their head in the sand and say “we have a threshold”. With every Day this sounds more like “FU SNOs” :frowning:

Best wishes

4 Likes

Specifically, no- they don’t point to Gas prices… but there is the following sections:

8.1. Storage Node Fees. Subject to the terms of this Agreement, in full and final payment for your provision of the Node Services hereunder, Company will pay you based upon the amount of Space and Bandwidth utilized by Company and users of its Storage Services via the Storage Node Software (“Storage Node Fees”). We will pay the Storage Node Fees in the Company’s proprietary virtual currency, called Storj’s Utility Token (STORJ). The amount will be calculated based on the current exchange rate shortly before the time the payout is initiated as listed on https://coinmarketcap.com/ or such other service as Company may use from time to time. The determination of the timing and value of the exchange rate is made at Company’s sole discretion, and any such determination is final and binding. You acknowledge and agree that you are not entitled to any amounts other than the Storage Node Fees in connection with this Agreement.

8.9. Modification of Payment Terms. Company reserves the right to modify the terms of this Section 8 (Storage Node Fees) at any time, including the rate of payment and the Storage Node resources for which Storage Node Fees is paid.

All of that affords them technically quite a broad enough license to work with as far as payments. It’s also important to keep in mind your services as a SNO could be terminated for with the following note:

9.1. Effect of Termination. If Company terminates this Agreement for your breach of this Agreement, Company will have no obligation to pay any unpaid Storage Node Fees. If Company terminates this Agreement for any other reason, Company may pay you via the Payment Method any unpaid Storage Node Fees due and payable to you hereunder less all or any portion of the Held Amount permanently retained by Company pursuant to Section 8 above.

Again, I’m annoyed too. I was looking forward to transferring some of the Storj to fiat to offset the prior expansion of storage that I also performed for my personal backup use. I’m now forced to wait like other ERC-20 holders as well due to the Gas levels and ETH’s price overall.

7 Likes

I still don’t know why BINANCE isn’t a valid option?

Once a month, when the GAS prices are the lowest, storj team transfer the calculated amount to Binance and from there it get’s distributed.
Internal transfers are for free and everybody has the choice of either selling, holding or transfering it into their personal wallet at any time.