October 7, 2022: Ethereum Layer 1, zkSync, and Polygon payouts for the month of September are now complete

Hello! Payouts for the completed month of September are complete.

For layer 1 payments, we paid 3,228 unique wallet addresses. As before, there is no specific minimum payment threshold but it appears the pipeline was able to pay out for people who earned $3 or more.

For zkSync payments, we paid 1,463 unique wallet addresses. Everyone who opted into zkSync got a 10% bonus (and will again next month)! As many of you know, there was a slight hiccup with using STORJ to pay zkSync fees over the last few weeks which is now resolved. If you missed it, STORJ got removed as a valid fee-paying token (on this list: Explore zkSync L2 Blockchain | zkSync Block Explorer). While it is true that for a token to be usable for fee payment it must have enough Uniswap trading volume, it appears that for a short time, the filtering process was too picky, and many previously-valid tokens were invalidated for fee-paying. Matter Labs readjusted how much trading volume was required, and many tokens got revalidated, including ours. Sorry if this worried you! It is resolved, and payments concluded like normal.

It is worth taking a moment to point out though that this payout round is the last monthly payment before zkSync 2.0 releases (though it may not be the last payout round on zkSync 1.0 yet, we don’t know). We are working with Matter Labs to understand how we can best help support their transition to zkSync 2.0 and we intend to migrate to zkSync 2.0. While both zkSync 1.0 and 2.0 are zkRollup based scaling solutions, they have some pretty important differences - zkSync 1.0 is a token transfer utility, and zkSync 2.0 is a full EVM. When it comes to fee payment, the way fees work in zkSync 2.0 is fundamentally different than zkSync 1.0, and zkSync 2.0 may not (at least for a time again) support fees with STORJ token. Matter Labs has support for providers like us to implement a “paymaster” token trading utility, but we want to make sure we do our legal and regulatory compliance homework before we implement one. We don’t have much more to share here yet other than that we’re extremely excited for zkSync 2.0 and will do our best to communicate with you as we all learn how to adopt it.

For Polygon payments, we paid 52 unique wallet addresses. As mentioned the last few months, we are considering dropping Polygon support. We understand there are some users of Polygon and thank you for using it! Given the lack of uptake, we are considering dropping Polygon support once zkSync 2.0 support lands, considering zkSync 2.0 resolves the main issue with zkSync 1.0 that led to us exploring Polygon: registration fees. Please let us know your thoughts.

Across all layers, we paid 4,711 unique addresses. As always, if you have more questions, please make sure you’ve read through our mega FAQ .

The policies put in place regarding bonuses for nodes operated in Ukraine are still in place.

11 Likes

Glad to see the issue with paying in STORJ is resolved. For me (and many others) this was an important reason to make the switch. I hope adjusting the process for zkSync 2.0 can happen shortly after switching over. I don’t mind stacking up my tokens for a while, but only if there is a solution on the horizon.
Looking forward to more communication around this change.

Thanks for the update again @jtolio

2 Likes

Thanks for the information first of all.

I am one of the few that switched to polygon and of course I understand you may want to drop it. I found polygon setup extremely easy, more than anything else. Indeed I would love to see it supported if does take too much effort on STORJ side.
The other issue I would encounter is that I haven’t earn enough to make it economically affordable to transfer the tokens to zsync, which means that I would loose all earned so far…

You do not need to transfer anything to zkSync, you may keep it on Polygon or exchange there or whatever you planned to do with tokens, they will not disappear while the Polygon network is exist and functioning.
You may just switch to zkSync (and pay fee in STORJ tokens to withdraw them later, or even exchange them there) or to L1 (Ethereum). In case of L1 you will pay fee in ETH to move tokens though.

So for 2022-10 there is still the 10%-Bonus and the zkSync-Fees can be paid in STORJ? Then there is no reason for ETH and other payments.

I wonder how long the 10%-Bonus will last now because the ETH-fees have been reduced due to the merge?

How do you claim this to be true?

This is the 3 month graph of average ETH transaction fees in USD with the merge date of the 15th September shown…

Looks pretty similar, both pre and post merge, to me!

This is not true, the merge, from a technical point not reduce the fee at all. In fact, it might even increase them, the benefict is more about the max transaction limit and speed then the cost reduction.

edit: sorry, double reply.